Demo crashing on OS 9

Discussion in 'Games' started by timmyb, Dec 17, 2006.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

I have just downloaded the demo of an old game, (Caesar III,) which requires Classic so I have also installed that using my back-up disks. So far I have run it four times and it has crashed within the first 10 minutes each time, (the time it lasts is steadily increasing.) Is this likely to be a problem with the demo or classic? If it is a problem with the demo, is there likely to be the same issue with the full game?
    (As a side note - any ideas on where I can get my hands on a copy - I REALLY want it but have had no luck with amazon/ebay.)
    Thanks for any help.

2. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

you opening it on mac os x?
    or rebooting on os 9?

try rebooting it on os9 and running it like that.

3. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

I run classic and open it in that, (with programs running in tiger at the same time.)

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

See if there is a patch for the game to stop it crashing. It could be an early known bug that was patched :)

5. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

People use "Classic" and "OS9" interchangeably anymore (Ninja_Turtle's got it right)...probably works fine if you boot in OS9, but is unstable under Classic layer running on OSX. Like MW2, Myth I, and lots of others.... timmyb, most likely your 1.33 GHz iBook can run Classic, but can't dual-boot (startup) into OS9.

IMG sez it was released in 1999 and runs under System 7.6, so I'm 99.99% sure it's the above. Equally sure there's no patch. The IMG review also says the demo is more fun than the full game, so don't kill yourself trying to get this to work.

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I have that game. It was a lot of fun but I haven't played it in a good 5 years. Yeah, you'll need to run it in OS9 and not Classic....

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Civilization II is one OS9 game that's notable for being stable & playable in Classic. Don't know if you've played that, but it could be an alternative.

8. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help. Disappointing news - i used to love that game on pc. :(