Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone developer Ziconic has already started taking advantage of the new iPhone 3GS's digital compass in a prototype build of its AirCoaster 3D iPhone application.

AirCoaster 3D is an existing application that allows users to design and ride 3D roller coasters on their iPhones and iPod touches. They've since posted a video of a prototype version that takes advantage of the iPhone 3GS's digital compass.

This version of the app allows the user to move the iPhone around in real life to obtain a different view out of the in-app roller coaster. This feature is expected to come in a future update to the application.

App Store Link: Air Coaster, $0.99 (no compass support in current version)

Article Link: Demo of Digital Compass Used in an iPhone App

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
well.... you should mention the obvious use of the accelerometer as well, look up/downwards. I honestly don't see the compass being used here in a classical way, since when the roller coaster does a 360 and the viewing angle would be fixed to one geographic direction (which would be a fixed one), the view should spin 360° as well, always looking the same way.

What I see is them using the compass as a directional pointer for a view relative to the coaster itself, not the surrounding. That is cool indeed... So you can basically use your iPhone as a "VR window"

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wasn't aware of this app till I saw it here. For 99 cents, it's worth it. It reminds me of the old PC game Supercoast. Now if No Limits releases an iPhone version, I'd be amazed and thrilled. I'd also get a lot less work done....

jlwillia

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
The possibilities...

This app. is pretty cool looking, but is somewhat pointless. Nevertheless, I understand its significance. I can't wait to see some of the non-game apps take advantage of this!

zjmuse

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
well.... you should mention the obvious use of the accelerometer as well, look up/downwards. I honestly don't see the compass being used here in a classical way, since when the roller coaster does a 360 and the viewing angle would be fixed to one geographic direction (which would be a fixed one), the view should spin 360° as well, always looking the same way.

What I see is them using the compass as a directional pointer for a view relative to the coaster itself, not the surrounding. That is cool indeed... So you can basically use your iPhone as a "VR window"

Pretty sure that was the point. What would the point of always looking north (or whatever direction) in a game?

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I see that you can download tracks that other users have created. Are there a lot of real roller coasters you can ride? For example, The Raptor from Cedar Point?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This app. is pretty cool looking, but is somewhat pointless. Nevertheless, I understand its significance. I can't wait to see some of the non-game apps take advantage of this!

Without a doubt, the flood gates of killer apps that use the magnetometer have opened. All you haters can now be silenced. [/sarcasm]

mlgacc

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
real apps for professionals

i am sick of hearing about the iphone..... when will apple get to real applications like final cut studio ? and bluray support.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Now imagine this tech built into some eyewear that could be plugged into a PS3 for a game like COD:Modern Warfare 2..... You could look all around your environment without taking your aim off your target. It would make 360's Project Natal look childish. Even imagine a Resident Evil game where you could look over your shoulder to see a Zombie ready to pounce on you..... shivers.......

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
OMG i want:eek:.

The coolness of building your own roller-coaster ride is over 9000.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
Now imagine this tech built into some eyewear that could be plugged into a PS3 for a game like COD:Modern Warfare 2..... You could look all around your environment without taking your aim off your target. It would make 360's Project Natal look childish. Even imagine a Resident Evil game where you could look over your shoulder to see a Zombie ready to pounce on you..... shivers.......

Like playing a racing video game (like Grand Theft Auto) while driving ? :eek: Or playing Doom while hunting ? ... But instead of hunting animals your hunting zombies, aliens and monsters ?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i am sick of hearing about the iphone..... when will apple get to real applications like final cut studio ? and bluray support.

first of all. final cut just had an update, and bluray is supported as a data medium.

second of all.

Apple isn't making these applications. Sounds like somebody is out of the loop a bit

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
Where getting close to the Matrix folks.
The magnetometer is three-axis, remember.
Yes.

Coverflow = X
Accelerometer = XY
Magnetometer = XYZ

That makes sense !

Accelerometer = iPhone position
Magnetometer = iPhone location

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Where getting close to the Matrix folks.Yes.

Coverflow = X
Accelerometer = XY
Magnetometer = XYZ

That makes sense !

Actually Accelerometer = XYZ but it only measures Acceleration. The compass measure the exact orientation in all 3 directions.

And the the Accelerometer was not used in this demo, all of the rotating was doing using the compass.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Wow... I hope the haters that panned the digital compass features are finally realizing what else it can be used for. :)

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
First: Is anyone else sick of people not only taking the time to read the iPhone news, but taking the time to follow the post to the comments and then reply how much they hate iPhone news? Get an rss reader, simply skip the articles that don't interest you, and stop pissing and moaning in the comments.

Second: wouldn't this be a little weird if you're playing this game while riding on a bus, the bus turns a corner and all of a sudden your view is turned around? Seems like any games that depended on it for interaction would be very hard to play while in motion. They need a 'life signs' detector, so they can detect the iphone's orientation to you.

gseed

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Siddur Application demoed compass use yesterday

In order to enlighten everyone, I thought I'd share the news that the Siddur (Jewish prayerbook) app has demoed a 'Mizrach compass', which points users in the direction of Jerusalem based on the coordinates, which is the correct direction of prayer according to traditional Jewish law. This long-awaited feature, which was only made possible by the compass feature, should hopefully be released soon...

See the link here for more info...

http://www.cartoonbarry.com/2009/06/preview_of_mizrach_compass_for.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.