Demo versions of sequencing software?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Suture, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Hi, I've been recording on PCs for about 10 years or so now, back from when Cakewalk was still, well Cakewalk (I started with v3.0). I now use FL Studio XXL, but am not sure it's the right one for me, so I have been thinking of switching over to Mac. Of course I don't figure this out until AFTER I've dropped about $350 on XXL, but oh, well.

Anyway, are there any demo versions available of anything? I can't seem to find squat. Even the "Express" version of Logic is $299? Is that just poorly named? I'm looking for something that will run on an older Mac, a G4/1GHz with just under 1GB of RAM. If I like the software I'll probably just buy a new iMac.

2. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

There's a demo of Logic Express on apple.com. You'll have to hunt for it.

3. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Apple calls it "trial" so it may not pop up in the search engines, so here's the trial/demo version of Logic Express 7.

Being much in the same situation myself, never having seen or used a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application before, and being overwhelmed by Logic Express I was wondering:

1) Is there a step-by-step online guide somewhere (for absolute beginners) to help you get started?

2) Likewise, are there any downloadable pre-recorded multi-track files so that I can play around with that? I currently don't have a MIDI interface or any equipment to record my own stuff.

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Nine-Inch-Nails released a Garageband version of their song on their fan site. You can open that in Logic Express and mess around with it. It's pretty cool.

www.nin.com I believe.

5. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

Thanks for the link... I must have missed it.

Trent has actually released a few of his songs for fans to play around with. Some others that come to mind are Only and The Hand That Feeds, both from "With Teeth."

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Ableton Live has a demo you can download. If I remember correctly, there's no time restriction and all of the features work except for 'save' and 'render.'

7. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately the GarageBand files there don't exist any longer or there's something wrong with the website.

Any other places I can download a Garageband or Logic song file so I can play a little around with it, getting used to the application?
    Or, would a kind soul here be willing to upload a song-file somewhere?
    Preferrably with various tracks (MIDI and audio) and effects.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

9. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

The link IS still on their website. Here:

http://www.nin.com/downloads/index.html

Click on 'The Hand That Feeds'

And also here is the track 'Only'

http://www.nin.com/access/only/garageband/