Democracy at Risk

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 22, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

can anyone disagree w/ Krugman on this?

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Back in the old days of pencil and paper, the ballots (in Texas) had a little tear-off tab (tabs and ballots were numbered) that went into a separate box. These could be used to verify the raw number of ballots cast.

I like the pencil-and-paper system. So, two tabs: One for the old-days verification, and one as a "recipt" for the voter to keep. If there is some question at that voting precinct, voters could show their receipts to help verification...

We've "gotten all eat up with the hurries" on counting votes, mostly for the benefit of the media's efforts to get the news out ASAP.

I really don't think the nation will implode if election results are a few hours or a day later than what we've become accustomed to.

'Rat

3. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I presume the reference to Georgia is about the fact that in the last go-round we elected the first Rep. Governor in 130 years, plus booted US Representative Cynthia McKinney out.

Don't know if our Dem. Secretary of State has since changed her tune about touch-screen voting or not, but she was the one all gung-ho about it before the last election...

I always was paranoid about there not being a paper trail. Hopefully it would be more help in verifying disputed results than the infamous FL punch-cards.

And now it seems, if I read it right, that the US military is going to try internet voting, for real... What are they smoking?