Democracy Player Version Released!

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 27, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Democracy Player Version Released!
    Description:: A new version of Democracy Player was released today! While it's only one small version number, the fixes and improvements are impressive. With memory usage down and a more responsive UI this release is worth checking out. If you've had problems with previous versions, this is the one to try out. Give it a spin and let us know what you think!

Universal Binary Download:

Feedback Email:

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    How's this compare to VLC?

I'm installing it now.
  3. macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    soo.. will this let me save youtube vids to my hdd, and then import them to itunes.. for free? :eek:
  4. macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    ... dunno, just downloading D-Player myself - but this allowed me to download a youtube and google video to my HDD and import to iTunes.
  5. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This seems like a really neat project. Anyone willing to describe their experiences trying it out on a Mac in more detail?

As far as video formats, Democracy basically uses QT7 and its plugins. It can basically play anything that can be played in QT, including anything using a third party plug-in (Flip4Mac, Perian, etc). So really, on OS X, it's primary advantage is that it's an integrating app -- it brings in torrents, web-based TV content, YouTube and Google Video, etc, into one format.

P.S. PodTube is another (very popular) option for getting YouTube onto an iPod.
  6. macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    I've been using Democracy player for a week or so now.

It's basically like iTunes, in that's there's a channel guide, with a bunch of different feeds available, a lot of which are also available on iTunes as Podcasts.

The big difference is you can also search for stuff on YouTube, GoogleVideo etc... and then create a 'channel' from that search - that way you'll always have fresh content, based on your interests.

What's missing is an iTunes like 'share' feature for Democracy Player > Democracy Player viewing and of course there's still the issue of getting the videos out of democracy player and onto your iPod/Apple-TV.

I've also published my .TV feed (below in sig) to the Democracy Channel Guide, to compliment the existing iTunes Podcast feed. :)