Democrat wins So. Dakota Congressional Seat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Final results are in for the special election to fill House seat of former Rep. Janklow (convicted of vehicular manslaughter.)

It is the second special election won by Democrats and lowers the number need to take back the House to eleven.

I'd love to see my Representative become the first woman Speaker of the House in November.
    :D

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Dang, I was just collecting all the links and text to post this myself. You beat me to it by minutes. Actually it's a good thing I refreshed my browser window just in case instead of just posting it!

Highlights from the AP article:
    Although if it wasn't for the 'liberal media' I'm sure this wouldn't be news at all. :p

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

interesting choice of words, considering our sitting President also won by the slimmest of margins, yet seemingly felt that he is/was following a divine mandate himself...

Sorry to get off topic...as far as this election goes, I am always happy to see the Dem. regain ground in the Senate (or House)...we shall see if this is part of a trend...

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No, not a mandate of any kind, but possible a reflection of a growing trend that gives Democrats an advantage going into the November Congressional races. Remember this is South Dakota - one of the "reddest" of red states. Both the Kentucky race and this one are in areas that Republicans should win. Now, perhaps you can tell me is there going to be a third special election in your own home state? What happens to Billy Tauzin's seat?

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hell, that's a landslide by SD standards. Go look up the margin of victory in the Johnson/Thune race there. It was like 500 votes or so.

Besides, I thought Dubya proved you didn't need a landslide to claim a mandate for extremism? :D

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Heh, this is Louisiana, it is way to early to tell. We have to wait and see who is the best at slinging mud. ;) Our last govenor's election really wasn't decided until the last week. You have to remember that Louisiana is a conservative democrat state. So a republican has just a good of a shot as a democrat.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am confused...S. Dakota is a "red" state?...don't they have Daschle(D) and Johnson(D) in US Senate? and now Herseth(D) in the house?...what am I missing here?

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Bush carried the state in 2000 by a 60% - 38% margin. Since 1940 the Democrats have carried the state in a Presidential election only once, the 1964 Johnson landslide. There is something like a 40,000 registered voter advantage for the Republicans in the state. Only one statewide office (State Commissioner for School and Public Lands) on the state level is held by a Democrat. Both Houses of the Legislature have a two-thirds Republican majority. Not withstanding the importance of the two Senators and the new Congresswoman, this is a "red" state with huge advantages for Republican candidates. All of which makes Stephanie Herseth's victory all the more impressive.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thankyou, Sahey...out of curiousity, however, why has S. Dakota has voted for Democratic members of US Congress, but for Republican Governorship and State legislature (not to mention Presidents)...I know that the Democrats of the State have a slightly different version of Democratic affiliation to deal with the particulars of their home states (more traditionally conservative), so why the poor showing in State office?

10. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I think it is the same reason California has had so many Republicans as governor. In order to win, the Republicans put up pro-choice candidates and run to the middle.

In SD, Herseth said she supported the war in Iraq and would extend "most" of the tax cuts. The Republicans tried to call her on the tax cut issue, but had a hard time arguing that the people of South Dakota needed to defend the tax cuts for the wealthiest. Herseth will have to continue to run to the middle if she is to win in November -- which I doubt she will (but you never know).

11. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sorry, I can't really answer your question. I do know that South Dakota has a progressive tradition as well as all the movement toward conservatism. The old Farmer-Labor party that had a very strong following in neighboring Minnesota, also had roots in the Dakotas. The election of George McGovern for many years is a testament of the strength of that tradition. I can only guess that the effect of years of right wing organizing on cultural issues have undercut the Democratic Party in the state.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

An effort is enough...thanks Numedia and Sahey...

BTW Sahey, might you be responding to my bloated post over in the other thread soon? I am all a twitter with anticipation...

13. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

LOL, ok, I'm on it.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Hello from Iraq

Hey there, I am from SD and I was so happy to see that Stephanie Herseth won the seat. I am deployed to Iraq with my Guard unit, but I have watched the race. I am a registered Democrat, and orginally from the western side (west of the Missouri River) of the state. We have been sending Democrats to Washington for years and a big reason for this is because people in SD feel that they can get more with Democrats. What I mean by that is the Dems are good at bringing the "pork" home. Remember we are a small state with only 3 reps in Congress, without having elected Reps that will put up a fight for us, we would get nothing. I don't see Herseth having a problem winning again in November. I think it might be harder for Tom Daschle. I say this because our state is also notarious for voting out people who have been in too long. The best thing or the worse thing you can be in South Dakota is an incumbant. Being an incumbant is a good thing for someone like Stephanie Herseth, but Daschle is going for his 4 term in the Senate and along with his time in the US House has been around since 1978. Daschle is still popular however and in the end people may not want to loose the pull he has for bringing home the bacon.

The other thing is that SD is a VERY divided state. The west side including the second largest city, Rapid City, is VERY Republican and aligns itself with Wyoming, Montana, Colorado. I know, Dems don't even run in local elections there anymore. It is totally a one party system west of the Missouri. One party is not as good as some may think, it has caused a lot of scandal and bad policies going unchecked, but no matter what happens or how bad a canidate is, west river will not vote for anyone except someone with an "R" behind their title. The only part of Western SD that is VERY democratic is of course the Indian Reservations. The Eastern Side of the state, which is the most populated, has more of a "populist" idea of government. There are more Democrats and more Republicans that will cross party lines to vote for who they feel will do the best job. If you can carry the vote in the Eastern side and on the Reservation, you will win. Daschle, Johnson and Herseth were all elected because Eastern SD and the Reservations put them in.

15. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thanks for the insights. I had read about the East/West divide in South Dakota politics, but I never knew it was so stark. I'm hoping your prediction for Herseth's chances in November will come true. Keep your head down over there and come back safe and sound, ok?