Democratic Hawk and War Veteran Wants U.S. Troops Out of Iraq Now

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Nov 18, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-usiraq18nov18,1,4944276.story

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Sounds like anything other than a loss of memory and backbone.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

By any other than US standards, the Democratic Party does not have an "extreme liberal wing".

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't seem to understand American political definitions, Republican style. Anyone who dares to criticize the president is automatically part of the "extreme liberal wing," even if they happen to be a highly-decorated colonel in the U.S. Marines who served in two wars and supported Republican military policies in every conceivable way, until today.

5. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Obviously a traitor.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is my favorite part of the Murtha story.
    AP via Yahoo News

Just a tad angry at the Chickenhawks?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It looks to me Rove is back telling Bush what to say. What a bunch of smear saying Murtha and Micheal Moore in the same sentence. It shows the depths the republicans have sunk to when they cant even allow criticism or any other viewpoint other then Bush's. Its discusting to see the name calling by republicans when they have so many around the president who have never served, and a lot of them became deferral queens over and over(rich folks) when vietnam was going. Pathetic Bunch of Deferral Queens. Rove's smear tactics of smearing everyone is going to cost the republicans a lot come next election.

8. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I agree with you totally, but I dont think we should pull out now. I am a liberal myself and absolutely abhore this administration and am embarraced by it, but unfortunately we are in this for the long run. Bush really needs an exit strategy. Even if he doesnt stick to it, at least there would finally be a plan.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Another sad part is that some Democrats aren't even backing him up. They're still too afraid of being attacked the way Murtha is. Grow some backbone!

Oh yeah, and Cheney, Bush & Co. grow more desperate every day. Republicans have a bad case of doublethink.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Another commie flip-flopper. You know he wanted to throw his medals over the fence.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, it looks like his fellow House Democrats will get another chance to back him up this evening. Granted, few (if any) of the Republicans will vote in support of Murtha's resolution, but I'm interested to see which (if any) Democrats will stand by him.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All the Democrats should be backing him up. That some of them aren't is a testimony to their cowardice. They're obviously not waiting for "the right atmosphere" to blast Bush...public opinion is well against him. So I can only conclude that they are afraid, as you say, of being labeled "radicals" and "out of touch" by the GOP spinmeisters.

But you know what? The rules of the game have changed. The Republicans can call John Kerry a traitor, and a year ago those charges would've stuck, but I don't think so anymore. If anything, Kerry has been proven right. He's one guy who should fire back in support of Murtha. Max Cleland is another guy they could bring in to shame the GOP. But yes, the Democrats have gotta stay on offense. In fact, folks like Harry Reid and Howard Dean should privately warn their compatriots that wusses will get little support from the party at election time.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Republicans are playing games with this war and our democracy, this vote tonight is nothing more then games and gimmicks. Republicans are becoming shameful, almost like little kids fighting. I would have never ever thought that the republicans would have taken the U.S. down this path they seem to be on. Im certain now that if there werent any democrats in congress things like medicaid,Social Security, Student loans,Farm aid and other help programs would all be wiped out. Makes me sick even as a former Republican.

The next thing we will see is this party selling fear and more fear. Watch and see.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Rep. Murtha, a Democrat, has called for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq. Assuming for a moment that he is serious, and isn't "playing games" with the war, what would be an appropriate response for the House of Representatives at this juncture?

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A slow and steady pull out, he isnt saying everyone gone tomorrow but he is saying start phasing our guys home and phase in Iraqi's. If they are training Iraqi's like they say they are it shouldnt be a problem but we know that they have stated trained Iraqi's in the past that turned out to be vaporware.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Love it! :D

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Depends on what the resolution actually says, doesn't it?

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And which resolution was voted on? The 'Murtha Resolution' or 'the Democrat Resolution'?

Oh and who's pulling partisan stunts in Congress now? I thought that was a no-no...

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For all those who complain that we're just a bunch of liberals, I find it funny that we deride the Dems for being spineless. Proves my theory that it doesn't matter if you have a (D) or an (R) next to your name. 9 out of 10 politicians suck, and the ones that are actually good get screwed by their own party.

Anyone else think this whole thing is going to backfire on the neocons? Yeah, me too.