Democratic Leadership (?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Okay, so I've seen the tide of popular opinion here on the board swing toward the idea of the Democrats taking over a house or two in '06. (praise Murphy)

Now, not that I'd object to this, I'd really prefer it - but what do we see them doing with it?

The Democrats have been consistently wussy when dealing with president Bush. They might occasionally raise a fuss over some particularly heinous show of hubris, but they have rarely ever thwarted his nefarious plans.

If(!) the Dems come to power in '06, what will they do with it? Will they continue to be scared of Bush? Will they get trapped by thwarting his agenda and get nailed for being weak on national security? Shoot, if they play into Bush's hands, they could lose again in '08 and we'd be worse off than we are now.

Would they dare to push an agenda including support of (gasp!) national healthcare and enviromental protection? (the horror!) Or :looks around to see if anyone is watching: pulling out of our failed war in Iraq? Or (gasp!) raising taxes to pay for the president's disastorous fiscal priorities?

Even if they were to pursue this agenda, they wouldn't have the votes to overturn his expected vetos. Deadlock is better than corruption and insanity, but it's not a magic pill.

So, who wins if the Democrats win? Leiberman? Pelosi and Reid? Dean? Whose philosophy gets pushed, and how much gets accomplished?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Could be why John McCain is waiting til after the election to make his announcement.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Investigation after investigation after investigation. The last time they had any say it was less than 2 years into the Bush administration and the stench of corruption hadn't set in. First order of business will be to throw some sunlight on the dealings of the GOP under Bush.

Well some rollbacks of the Bush tax cut for the top 1% would surely be looked at. And since I heard Rush just the other day taking pains to explain how this or that government program's funding wasn't being cut, it was just not being increased as much as promised, I'm sure him and other GOP stalwarts will understand just as easily that it's not a tax hike, the tax rate's just not being decreased as much as promised. So I'm sure they won't complain about it. </sarcasm>

As you say, this depends to a large extend on who's message is credited with the Democrats win (supposing they figure out what that word means). If a strong anti-war stance gets a bunch of Dems elected, you'll see the Dean wing of the party exerting influence. If it's the deficit hawks that get elected you'll see more of the 'Blue Dog' centrists taking charge.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A bit, but I think it's somewhat unappreciated how little power a minority party has in our system of government. They can't start or stop much of anything, if the majority party remains even somewhat unified. They can't even convene a hearing. They can only jawbone issues, and that's effective only to the degree the press reports it -- which for the last several years, hasn't been much.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and then be labeled as nothing but a bunch of complainers, as we've seen on these very forums.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or obstructionists.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I prefer calling them communists. Speaking of which, I heard that "Good Night, and Good Luck" is a pretty decent film.

Lethal

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I sure hope so. It's been a while since I've wanted to see a George Clooney movie...

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's kinda funny that we were thinking the same thing considering how we feel about Bush. Wait, I didn't mean funny. I meant sad. Yeah, that's it. Sad.