Democrats acting like Democrats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 13, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I thought this was interesting. I haven't read about Democrats doing anything like this since...well, probably since the Reagan administration.

Now as small a gesture as this is, these are the Democrats I remember! Not the *****-whipped, Republican-lite variety we've been seeing for the past 25 years.

Link

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

Yeah, I do have to say, it's unfortunate that students are taking the brunt of University exec over-compensation, since they're victims in much the same way as janitors are. But yeah....

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

lately, i've been developing a hefty appreciation for what mr dean is trying to do with the party: build it up again in a grassroots fashion.

from what i can tell, his efforts are at odds with the current dem power core, which has hillary clinton at or near the center. i'm starting to think that we do need to do away with the current core and start over.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There are pluses and minuses about both ways, but I would like to point out that Dean is actually a pretty fiscal conservative. Most people don't know that, but he was able to balance the budget pretty well in his home state when he was Gov. Hillary just panders, but sometimes that can be a good thing too. At this point, whatever works in good with me. I mean, the Dem party is pretty diverse as it is, and I believe it should have room for moderates and those who are more liberal as long as it gets something accomplished. Um, something good that is. Problem, of course, being that good is subjective.

By the sound of the thread title, I thought they did something stupid again (or, you know, nothing)... which is kinda sad if you think about it.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interesting post here that talks about the blowup Rahm Emmanuel had in a meeting with Dean, with links to several articles about both the meeting itself and associated concerns.

Charles Schumer was present as well, and while he also shares Emmanuel's concerns, he didn't swear a blue streak and storm out of the meeting over the differences between Dean's 50-state strategy and the DNCs preferred 'targeted' approach.