Democrats are loosing their cool and the media isn't covering it.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SlyHunter, Apr 22, 2004.

1. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

SENATOR'S WIFE CHARGED WITH ASSAULT

This is one of those stories that almost too good to be true...it's almost difficult to imagine how someone could be this stupid. But they are, so here we go. Wanda Baucus, wife of Democratic Senator Max Baucus, got into it at Johnson's Garden Center in Washington D.C. She wound up assaulting someone, for which she was later charged. And what was all this over?

A bag of mulch.

That's right, a bag of mulch. Apparently Mrs. Baucus was upset that someone was being served ahead of her and decided to strike the woman in the face and body several times. She must have snapped. Maybe the person was annoying. Who knows? Baucus says he is standing by his wife, and no one would expect him to do anything different.

Anyway, notice how this is being covered in the media. Outside of a passing mention here or a link there, not much coverage. What if say, it had been the wife of Republican Senator Bill Frist? Why then you know it would be top story team coverage!

Something to think about when it comes to bias in the media.

2. numediaman macrumors 6502a

As a media consultant I can answer your question. A bag of mulch does not equal thousands dead in Iraq. If you think this story is as important as the bus bombings in Iraq, the car bombing in Saudi Arabia, or the hearings being held in Washington, you are never going to be taken seriously.

SlyHunter, if CNN were owned by Al Franken you might be able to convince me that the media is owned by liberals. But CNN is owned by a multinational corporation, Time Warner.

In 2000, 138 daily newspapers endorsed Bush, 52 endorsed Gore (http://www.wheretodoresearch.com/Political.htm#Endorsements). And still you conservatives talk about media bias!

(and the word is "losing")

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Don't want to oversimplify here...but there are more pressing matters of attention for the media (at least that which covers the political beat)...like, say...an expensive, ill-advised, disorganized quagmire in Iraq which we can't fund properly (or fast enough)...or any of the other big issues, nicely represented in other threads here...assault over mulch? Not worth anyones time...

4. wwworry macrumors regular

That's a completely stupid thing to say.

First you invent a senario where Frist's wife has some trouble, then you invent a media uproar, then you point to your inventions as proof of media bias.

:rolleyes:

oh, and a republican killed his wife the other day. maybe I should post a thread called:

REPUBLICANS ARE KILLING THEIR WIVES AND THE MEDIA ISN'T COVERING IT

5. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I don't think you are being far to Sly. Isn't Frist the one married to Janet Jackson?

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I"m not about to say that Mrs. Baucus' behavior was any big deal, although physically striking somebody can mean some serious court problems. However, it seems to me it's a wee bit of a bigger deal than Dubya's daughter engaging in some underage drinking--which got more than just one day of national media coverage.

As far as media bias, I believe I see more of it in the way that news is presented than in the issue of "spiking" or editorial opinions. To me, an editor is entitled to whatever bias suits him/her. After all, editorials ARE opinions and are obviously so. "Bias" involves a lack of neutrality in presenting information, where one should avoid emotionally-loaded words and keep one's viewpoint out of the article.

:), 'Rat

7. diamond geezer macrumors regular

I think that Dubya's hot twin daughters underage drinking story was carried because of the salaciousness of of the subject.

8. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Hear hear! Great post... plus I agree: PEOPLE, IT'S "LOSING". I don't usually care too much about spelling errors, but it has become an epidemic... I don't want to go through and list the offenders, but a search on "loosing" brings up well over 300 posts. Come on, people! You lose a lot of credibility when you try to make an intellectual argument and expose yourself as uneducated/illiterate in the title line! I don't have a problem with shorthand or typos, and I'm sure I've had my fair share of mistakes, but jeeez... anyway, I just had to vent.

9. SlyHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

So I stuck in one too many o's big whoop.

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That and the fact it points to the troubles Dubya had. His daughters are following in his footsteps. They are possibly alcoholics by genetic inheritance (vs. mutation) or using alcohol to cope with other problems.

note: I'm not saying they are doing that just that that is why it was an "important" news event.

Personally, the poor girls have enough to deal with having a moron for a father... leave them alone already!

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The press sure managed to cover Roger Clintons escapades. Chelsea wasn't an embarrasment to her parents, and so never had the problems the Bush twins have. Any family member of a president is fair game as far as the media sees it.

Anyone still got any Billy Beer? :D

12. wwworry macrumors regular

Well you don't hear to much about the other Bush brother, Neil...

except for

Bush brother's divorce reveals sex romps

you don't hear about this on AM radio, do you?

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol, yeah I'd forgotten all about Neil. This came out about a year ago right? Talk about someone who was doing a job soley because of who he knew and not what he knew.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, wwworry, young Neil just figured out a way to do his part in reducing the balance of payments problem with China!

:D:D

'Rat

15. wwworry macrumors regular

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Is this Billy Bush's Daddy?

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As far as Jenna Bush goes, Austin(TX) is a hard city to not be seduced by alcohol...although as I remember things, she may have inherited the genes for stupidity from her father...it is hard to pass a fake ID w/ secret servicemen lurking...sorry to divert from the topic...I believe the other daughter goes to Vanderbilt?

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Woah... you know things are getting tough for Republicans when *this* is the best story they can point to.

19. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I don't get it, I'm not sure of all the facts regarding bush's daughter but what's wrong with getting drunk and having a good time? So she did it underage, but the legal age is 21 in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone their age was doing it. (Unless she was really young, then its stupid) but I mean, pretty much eveyrone I know has been going out to bars and drinking since we were 15, call us irresponsible but it means that now we are 19/20 we are all responsible and experienced drinkers! :D :D

20. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

-----
    A: Hey did you hear about what Sen. Baucus wife did?
    B: Who is Sen. Baucus?
    A: Umm...a Senator?
    B: Yeah I caught that. From where?
    A: Umm...Montana I think.
    B: What were we talking about?
    ------

Everyone knows who Bush is and so the media can get more interest out of it. Unless you are a big fan of mulch or from Montana you probably don't care who Sen. Baucus is or if his wife had some mulch related anger problems. Not saying its right, just that it is.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Democrats are cool by definition, so they very well can't lose it. ;)

22. SlyHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/charleskrauthammer/ck20040423.shtml

23. radhak macrumors regular

Thanks Krizoitz, much needed info.
    I was a bit worried that since I had no clue who this Baucus was, maybe I was not watching enough of the political news. But no wonder, Montana!
    and i am not sure 'wife' and 'mulch' add or detract from the newsworthiness. (i mean, would have been really good if the senator himself had swung a fist ;))

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

25. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Nice. I'm guessing you look down upon Kerry's miltary service? Just flippin' amazing.

Let me follow this trail of logic...

You are a Bush supporter, correct? So somehow you are able to excuse the fact that Bush never served our country, and in fact may have skipped out of the precious little service he did give our country. At the same time, you look down upon Kerry, who is a decorated war hero. Now, let's pretend that his Purple Hearts were undeserved (even though, by all accounts, he did deserve them). He still served two full tours of duty in Vietnam. That's two more than Bush ever served. Kerry has seen more action than Bush has seen in his nightmares.

If you are going to be a hypocrite, you may want to play down the issues you are hypocritical on. Its amazing to me that ANY Bush supporter would criticize Kerry's service record. I personally don't think their service records are really consequential to their performance as Commander in Cheif. Nonetheless, the right's very public hypocrisy on this issue confounds me.

I just hope the American people aren't that stupid. We'll see in November...

Taft