Democrats Target Rumsfeld

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 1, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

a winning strategy for the dems? or will the GOP all-defense-all-the-time-or-you're-unpatriotic strategy hand them another election cycle win?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if american people keep voting against their own interests, then there is nothing can stop US from going down in next 20 years. Move to Canada now.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The GOP can win if the Democrats waffle and qualify their statements. Starting with Rummy is a good idea as long as they nail his ass to the wall at every turn.

When he says Iraq is better off, ask him how? More electricity? Water? Is it safer? Do people have more cash?

When he says the US is safer, ask him how? Are there less terrorists? Have we engendered more respect in that afflicted area of the world? Have we spent money upgrading our domestic defenses?

When he says to pull out is to lose, ask him how? By re-stationing troops at home to respond to terrorist attacks? By saving money that can be put towards domestic security? By not giving Iraqis targets and excuses to shoot at us?

If the Dems do their usual whiny ******** they'll lose. Only by steadfastly destroying every claim the neocons make can they pull aside the curtain.

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

it'll backfire. The only way this works is if you have a guy with military (and by that I mean combat) experience who's willing to be the point man for it. The Democrats don't have that guy. Plus, this argument's been tried q.v. Kerry questioning the war-time leadership of the administration during the 2004 general...it flopped

IMHO it's a non-starter. Unless...you get Colin Powell to do it. He's probably the only guy in the country who could pull it off...

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's the big question, isn't it?

This kind of thing is worth a shot. The Democrats have become perennial losers by not standing up to GOP smears, might as well try growing a spine for a cycle or two and see if it helps.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

murtha and cleland spring to mind.

assuming we can draw meaningful parallels between the kerry campaign and attacking rumsfeld in this way, you must admit that the national mood is very different now.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

good point

well, I think we just have different perspectives. I'm sure in the major media centers like Chicago, New York, et. al. there's been a change in mood. But here in the god-fearin' goddam bible belt, or "smalltown america," my impression is that things are pretty much the same.

I hope you're right, though...it'd be nice to see some turnover in the House/Senate. I have every confidence that my Republican representative will get re-elected...bleh...I hate that woman.

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

despite the misgivings of some, this is why we rely on polls instead of anecdotal evidence. this is the kind of change in national mood of which i spoke:
    link

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's difficult to rely on much. Anchor persons irresponsibly calling opposition al-queda candidates is yet another indicator of a pervasive national mood.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

well, the media is a whole different story. instead of being soundbite-based, it'd serve everyone a lot better if 1) network news had more content and responsible analysis, and 2) viewers cared enough to demand and consume it. until then, cries of "the democrats have no plan" will be easier to convey digest than, "here is our complex solution to this complex situation".

as always, we're doomed.

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

interesting. Like I say, I hope you're right.