Dems pledge to sever ties to lobbyists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

For all those who have said that we liberals and Democrats never criticize our own side....

Washington Post

Okay, it's a start. :rolleyes: But it still seems lightweight.

Want to cut the ties to lobbyists? Institute full federal campaign financing. Forget this crap about taking lobbyist money from anybody. And make it ten years before any congressman can leave office and take a job with a company which benefited from his legislation.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would love to see it, I would like even more for them to just outlaw the lobbiest and lets get Congress doing the people's business instead of the corporations business as they have done for the past 20 years. This alone could save the middleclass in the U.S.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sounds like the Contract with America (or whatever it was called) the Reps tried in '94. Only this time, I'm hoping they stick with it instead of changing the rules to suit their activities. Or having to resign when they can't.

It's a good first step, but I'm still not yet convinced.

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Lobbing should be done as a public hearing and in full view. I have no issues with citizens and special interest groups providing input about issues. The important thing is to make them equal availability and public.

With that being said, I think it is time to have campaign financing funded by the public. It can be done fairly. If someone feels that is a waste of taxpayer money, I would refer that person to a lifetime's reading of how they are paying for this already, and at a staggering cost.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The problem is all those $$$ for your next campaign. Thats what turns the congressman from representitive to a corporate prostitute. There is a simple solution and thats to eliminate it. As long as this is going on the people will never get representation. I dont ever see a Republican congress doing anything on this matter, and they do still control half for the most part.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think you and I agreed on that. Please see my post. All financing through public funds. I would also add, as a perquisite for obtaining a broadcasting license, all media sources must provide equal space/time for all candidates.

7. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

How does full federal campaign financing cut ties to lobbyists? Most lobbyist don't walk around handing out money to congressmen in exchange for votes on legislation that affects their companies (the companies just do that either by donating directly to campaigns or by donating to 527's). There are over 30,000 registered lobbyists after all; the few we hear about are the ones who are breaking the rules.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yes, companies contribute to campaigns and parties...and lobbyists make sure they are getting something back for their money.

9. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

True, but I think there would still be plenty of lobbyists even with government funded campaigns. Lobbyist use plenty of "tools" to get congressmen to vote certain ways that would still be present even with government funded campaigns. Even if lobbying were totally taken out of the political system I still think congressment would support the interests that they have stakes in, the stakes just might not relate to their political campaigns anymore. I just dont think government funded campaigns would solve much, it would just create another 1billion dollar or more government program that takes more money away from the middle and upper class. Companies and interest groups would still find a way to sway both parties, just as they did after McCain-Feingold.

10. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

absolutely.

Lobbying is a symptom, not a cause. As long as politicians (of whatever stripe) have power over everyone's business, business will pay for that power.

The dems can give it a go, though. Good for them. But they'll fail.