Dems Take Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wmmk, Nov 8, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

BREAAKING NEWS:
    Allen's aides say he'll concede as early as tomorrow afternoon! Bush is a lame duck! THE DEMOCRATS CONTROL CONGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea AP and CNN have already given the race to Webb. I'm just waiting for something more official.

as I type, Colbert is hamming it up. I know it's just pretend, but it's fun to watch him wallow in defeat :D

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I haven't had a day this good in a long time. Thanks America! I knew you could do it!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Now all he has to do is avoid Cheney and the Democrats on hunting trips for the next 2 years.

5. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

easy for yall to say. the governator is still gov here in california. plus our clean energy proposition and the cigarette tax both failed. cooperate america lives on. they always win.

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

This went better than I dared hope for. Bless Blue Velvet and her bones. :D

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

It's about time we had a change. Did anybody watch Bush's East Wing speech? The look on his face was priceless. Looked like he was going to cry.

And the Republican party got a "thumppin?" WTF?

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It reminds me of 92 when Clinton came to power. Man, what a party that was!

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's been an interesting election and I'm glad for most of the outcome. I just wish I was as hopeful as you are. I'm hoping that a couple of stubborn, old men in the White House won't continue to make life miserable.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well, a pretty clear message was sent by U.S. voters. Whether or not the President and his advisors actually get it is still a question. The looks on the faces of the "Thumpees", especially that of Rove on the left, don't seem to reveal much else but what was part of Bush's astonishing comment this afternoon.

""I thought when it was all said and done, the American people would understand the importance of taxes and the importance of security. But the people have spoken, and now it's time for us to move on." Those words don't reflect that they "got it".

Nonetheless, the picture is worth more than a thousand words.

Attached Files:

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I would say that they are delusional more than hopeful. But then my views and political affiliation seems to be in the minority on these boards. More people that fell for the Dems dog and pony show..

Ed

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I know. Damn. But think about it. We (democrats) can now launch investigations and get shrub under oath and demand that he explains things that we all know cost us billions of dollars.

Get this - we paid the military 600 million dollars for meals for a 4 month period, and to pump more money into those already-filthy-rich companys, we used two plates (costs twice as much) and claimed that we needed to put one on top of another one to protect the food from "flies" bush u got some 'splainin to do.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ed, if if we're lucky (and you should hope we are), the Democrats will take the high road and work to include EVERYONE in the political process. I'm hoping that the politics of division are over as of today.

BTW- there was no Democratic dog and pony show. People voted for a change. The change they want is less partisan politics and more inclusion. If that scares you then so be it. The main point of this election was this- less BS extreme bickering over issues that don't matter and more paying attention to the real issues. Those being the economy and Iraq. That is the message the voters sent and they'd better get results or no one, Democrat or Republican, is safe.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The best course of action for the Democrats at this point would be to figure out how to fix the Iraq situation, get us out and work with Bush to do it. If the Dems take revenge now and pay no attention to fixing Iraq, they will be out in 2008.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

First of all, I love the Multi Quote feature :D

I know, this turned out so damn well. I was expecting the Dems to barely take control in the house and come close, but not take, the senate. We get the house by a huge majority, take the senate, and then to top that off, Rumsfeld is out. I feel like I'm in a dream and am going to wake up or something! The only disappointment for me was that the school district we live in won a ballot measure to increase taxes to raise money for the school. I was a student in this district from kindergarten thru high school graduation and have seen it, their money troubles are from pure mismanagement, nothing else, and they don't deserve an extra dime of taxpayer money. But stem cells passed in MO, minimum wage passed in MO.

This election could not have gone better. Sure, winning every available seat would be better, but realistically, this is so much better than I ever hoped for.

Now, too bad for me, my happiness won't last forever, I've got a test tomorrow I'm not going to do so great on. I hate my economics class, but my instructor is a Democrat and not afraid to say it and throw in some comments about republicans in a very conservative part of MO so it makes class worth going to :D

I saw clips of his speech on Olbermann and other TV shows, but didn't see the entire thing. He still comes off as the same lying, deceptive dumbass he's always been, but I can now watch him talk and not get angry, because I know what whatever crap he'll try to pull, congress will now be there to out him in check.

Of course, content aside, he's still the same piece of trash he is when it comes to public speaking. "Thumpin?" What the hell. I think I also heard "rodeo" in there. There's a fine line between having charisma and speaking in non-political, plain English, and just being a dumbass. Bush has crossed that line. And what's up with him leaning and slanting? The very first thing I learned in my very first public speaking class was posture; stand up straight. It removes any aspect of seriousness and sincerity and it makes him look like he thinks the entire thing is a joke. Well, listen up dubya....you won't be laughing when your administration is under investigation, the constitution becomes something more worthwhile than toilet paper, and you can't pass laws at will.

Thank you to all my fellow voters who made this change happen, you rock. And if I was 21 and filthy rich, I'd buy you all a beer :D

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I know that. I am just saying that some of the MAJOR issues that Bush has brought about that need to be investigated. Don't ask me to name any, I can write a book on all the mess that horrble little man has caused.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, I'd say that we are well aware this is a loss for Bush and the neocons than a win for the Dems. Farbeit from most of us to actually defend the Dems, or actually expect them to be good. But we're hoping they aren't as bad as the Reps have been, and actually hold them accountable for all that has happened in the last few years under their rule.

Am I to understand you actually like the Reps? No offense, but why? Is it because of the botched WOT? That the troops they supposedly support lack equipment and medical care? Or the fact that the deficit has skyrocketed while desperately needed programs go unfunded? Or that the party who once believed in personal responsibility accountability blames everyone else for their mistakes and corruption? Or that, judging by Katrina and the port deal, we aren't really as protected against future attacks and their fallout as we claim to be? Or that the party who used to believe in small gov wants to be in your bedroom? The list goes on, but I don't see why anyone who claims to be a conservative would actually like where the party was headed. Meanwhile, liberals are happy a bunch of moderates and conservatives in blue clothing have taken over by a slim majority to a Republican President they have no intention of going after the way the other side did over far less in the 90's, and somehow they're delusional.

Hm, maybe you actually have a point. You are all delusional. On both sides. Except Zim, he's just a cynic. ;)

18. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Really?

I think they should go for the throat and expose the administration's lies.

Should kill the Republicans for another 8 years or so.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Dangerous. They can only do it if the oversight hearings they hold turn up some really damning stuff, like Bush literally telling Rummy, "I know Saddam didn't have anything to do with it, but we've got to have that oil."

And the public at large would have to be calling for impeachment, as they did with Nixon and Watergate. It can't be just a Dem-revenge thing, much as that might be justified.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hopefully most people realize that the (D) win was not because they are worth a damn, but because the (R)s are so horribly pathetic (and some are just evil).

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what'd i do?!

:)

22. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

that's a tall order...

IMHO, there's no way it ends well, the only thing left is to end it quick. Declare victory and get out.

wondering if the turnover in Congress will actually help the White House re: Iraq. There's really no winning strategy there, and if the Democrats try to act too boldy they could easily take the blame for anything else that goes wrong, and you can believe that there are plenty of things to go wrong still.

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Apparently I'm the only one that agrees with you. Yeah, it'd be dangerous to do, but if they pulled it off it would seriously damage any hope of a Republican president in 2008. People wouldn't be able to call the Democrats spineless anymore, especially if they were to do something like this.

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Burns conceded this morning, and Allen is doing so right now...it's all over. :D

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Par-ty! Par-ty! Par-ty!

Beers are on Karl Rove!