denied access from folders

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ndmccormack, Aug 4, 2004.

1. ndmccormack macrumors member

hi,
    i'm, runnign 10.3.4 on a g4 machine, and I'm having trouble connecting to certain folders on our linux and windows servers.

its only happened in the last two months (possibly since 10.3.4 got released??) but when I access certain folders (new or old) finder crashes. this can be on folders that I was using the day before, or folders i haven't accessed for days/weeks

i use dave 4.1.1

we've recently installed new firewalls etc, and a new RAID upgrade for our windows server, but the firewall shouldn't affect the servers at all, and the issue still happens with the Linux server...

any ideas?

cheers
    niall

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Try deleting Dave 4.1.1. I've had problems with it and stuff. OSX handles SAMBA just fine I've experienced.

3. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

SMB networking works on ours to a certain extent, i can mount the server ok, and browse the folders, but most of the files come up as 'unix documents' with a wee unix screen icon.

The only files that osx seems to pick up are dmg and sit files, possibly because they the files that don't/can't rely on the resource.frk folder for icons, application info etc. as these can be downloaded...

so sadly I have to use dave... I'd rather chuck it as it seems rather pointless to me, seeing as osx is pretty good at windows servers now. but alas I can't!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As far as Linux goes, that unix document behavior is normal, since most Linux documents don't have extensions. With Windows, the default SMB support in Mac OS X should be sufficient, as long as Mac OS X has an association for the particular file extension you're trying to use. If Mac OS X doesn't know which app to use for a particular extension, but you do, you can set it yourself by doing a Get Info for the offending file, going to Open With, and choosing the appropriate application.

5. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

I've just uninstalled DAVE as suggested. i can access the folders ok now, but as I mentioned before a lot of the files do not register as anyhting but 'unix files' this would be ok if it were all documents but some of these files are applications, and even if I put the extension .app on the file I can still not launch it.

this is why I need DAVE !! there are also fonts and other files that when I uninstall dave i have no idea what they are, so cannot apply an application to them. as a general computer user, from windows and mac backgrounds I have always added extensions onot my files, but soem mac files, whether downloaded or unzipped do not have extensions and I need dave to use these... are there any work arounds... I freakin hate dave!

cheers for your help tho
    Niall

6. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What kind of files are you trying to launch? A .app extension is for an actual application. I have troubles imagining that you can store a Mac app on a Windows box and launch it over the network.

But it's not hard to add the proper suffix to files..

8. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

its mainly director apps and such, with dave installed they work fine, but without dave they're not recognised as applications...

apart from that its any file without an extension, so mainly fonts or older, pre OSX documents

// edit
    also when you have 3000 font files on your server, renaming them can be a pain in the arse! :D

9. rand() macrumors regular

So are these apps for OS9? You had mentioned resource.frk earlier... In that case the solution would be to get rid of dave, use a batch file to rename the fonts (assuming they're all in one folder, or one folder with subfolders even, this is increadibly easy), and install any legacy programs on the computers themselves rather than on an SMB/Windows share. I haven't used Panther's font manager, but I hear it's decent, so once they've been renamed, you shouldn't have any probs.

Sorry if it seems like a lot of work...
    --rand()

10. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

it does! theres lots of different font types tho, and presumably we'd have to rename them all so that theres the correct extension for the correct font type.. theres truetype, opentype, postcript, postcript printer fonts, and suitcases too...

the applications are osx mainly. We have a software resource server, so we don't have to keep looking for cd's to re-install software or each download updates etc. so for example we may have a director update on the server, but it doens't have an .app extension, so finder won't recognise it, and even if I append the extension to it, finder still doens't know what to do with it. it loses its unix icon, and just has a blank one instead, but you cannot launch the application!

its doing my head in!

11. rand() macrumors regular

That's because usually updates don't have a .app after them - as far as I know. They typically simply have the executable bit on.

I would try copying the executable file to the computer, then running chmod 755 on it in the terminal (sudo chmod 755 *filename*). I'm guessing that whatever setup is copying the updates to the fileserver isn't preserving UID/GID permissions - and Apple still hasn't put a clean GUI on making a file executable, to my knowledge. SMB might not even be capable of true permissions & exec bits, I can't remember offhand. Dave recognizes the files themselves and adjusts - but not in the actual file system. Unfortunately, Dave is trying to kill your computer (instead of the computer killing Dave. Sorry, somebody had to :) ).

Do you have a number of Macs, or relatively few? It may be much easier to share the resources as an NFS mount, or maybe AFP, if possible. Either of those would probably solve performance and permissions problems.

--rand()