Dental Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Feb 11, 2006.

?

Do You Floss Regularly?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Between teeth cavities are possible, you know.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I floss two times a year. While at the dentist have my bi-anual check up. So far, never had a cavity.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

...same here.

but my sonicare is so good I figure it's better than manual brush and not flossing...

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, I floss irregularly, ie. when I remember.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I floss all the time and i have no cavs....not yet at least.

Bless

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I did floss everyday, but when my particular floss ran out, I couldn't find my floss in Australia and had to buy another brand. It wasn't nearly as good and were much tougher on my gums and such. I stopped using it soon afterwards (maybe 6 months ago).

7. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Flossed tonight, and I've had one of those between teeth cavities. Stinks.

8. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
  9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I floss every morning when I brush my teeth and never had a cavity. I guess it works. :)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not that I'm against flossing, but the very best way to avoid cavities is to have good teeth. I took very good care of mine (knowing my family history) but I couldn't help having inherited bad teeth genes, so during my teens and 20s I'd generally have ten or more cavities filled at every dentist visit. Now all of those old fillings are wearing out and are being replaced by crowns.

11. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Nup. But my electric toothbrush has one of those fancy water jet things which does the trick! I turn that baby up to max power and have no problems.

I have always found using floss to be a major pain in the arse. Wrapping the stuff round your fingers and then trying to make sure you use a unused bit of the floss between each tooth... I always pull out too much or not enough flosh tape. Maybe I just don't know how to use it. Or I need one of those things 'dental flosh holder' thing-a-ma-gigs.

Plus I use listerine mouth wash too. That stuff is meant to kill more stuff than brushing alone.

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Nah, I just make sure I give them a really good brushing. I actually can't floss my bottom teeth anyway because I still have a wire behind my bottom teeth to keep them straight after having my braces off years ago.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i floss all the time. i've got cavity-prone teeth so i gotta do everything i can to keep the choppers healthy. of course most of them are crowned already.

but hey, flossing's really for the gums anyway.

no gums=no teeth.

14. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i floss regularly now since my dentist scared the crap out of me by describing how your immune system goes to hell as you get older and your mouth can't fight bacteria like it used to, resulting in cavities, of course. i'm now acutely aware of my age, and really want to keep my teeth until the day i die and no longer need them, so i floss every night.

oh, and i'm a sucker for praise from my dentist when i get good "scores" on my gums (the depth of the pockets between my teeth) during my check-ups. it's a weird little game i have to get better results every time i go. :rolleyes:

15. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

i floss maybe once a week. its really hard with braces. :(

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When I remember to floss, which is almost never. I've only had 1 cavity in my life when I was a kid that was on a babytooth that fell out shortly after getting it filled

17. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I am only an occasional flosser, but for years I have consistently rinsed with warm water within minutes of eating something when at home.

18. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I floss every other day. My dentist convinced me to bring a toothbrush to work and brush after lunch every day. Haven't had a cavity since I started doing that 4 or 5 years ago. Coffee stains are also less due to this.

19. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I have never flossed :eek: , except to play with the stuff in a kind of "how does this work?" way.

I use a Braun electric toothbrush, one of the expensive models that does all the good stuff it says on the side of the box. Have done for nearly four years, and haven't had any dental problems. And my teeth stay clean for much longer, and feel much cleaner, than with a manual brush.

I do have some fillings... but I was a kid and I ate the wrong stuff I guess. I think diet and what you drink has a major impact on your dental health.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I don't floss at all, but then again I'm British so what do I know about dental hygiene? :D

21. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Thanks for the Sunday laugh. I needed something to distract me from the ugly snowstorm still in progress.

22. iGary Guest

iGary

I brush three times a day and maybe floss once a month.

No cavities - fluoride generation.

23. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I started flossing after going to the dentist last week and my gums started bleeding while the hygienist was flossing for me. Gums are fine, but figured I might as well start before I start having gum/teeth problems, too. Jaw problems are enough for me. :D

24. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I floss maybe twice a month at the most. I brush my gums but that doesnt help the whole between the teeth cavity.

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I usually floss after going to the dentist and hearing "You need to floss." No warning, no flossing. If I do get the warning, my twice a day zeal lasts about a month or whenever I have a day that I am running late in the morning or too tired at night. Then, the stamina comes crashing down and I no longer believe.