Department of Defense Ready to Approve iOS 6 for High-Security Uses

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 1, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The U.S. Department of Defense is readying a new government approval for iOS devices to be used by military agencies for nonclassified communications. This is apparently a separate approval from the "commercial mobile device implementation plan" that the DoD announced a few months ago.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the certification would not only allow more widespread use of iPhones and iPads across the military, but would signal to other security conscious companies like banks and law firms that these devices are safe to use.
    The DoD is also preparing to sign off on Samsung's Galaxy line of phones for similar uses.

Article Link: Department of Defense Ready to Approve iOS 6 for High-Security Uses

2. macrumors 6502

bchery21

does this mean the president's daughters can finally imessage their friends?

3. macrumors 68020

If it's just iOS 6, will the DoD stay on that version when iOS 7 comes and play the "one version behind" game until each subsequent update is deemed "safe"?

4. macrumors newbie

Immediately discredits this article, iOS 6 != hardware. And if they're about to useAndroid for "high security" purposes then i'd assume they have pretty low security requirements.

5. macrumors newbie

It is interesting that they are also approving Samsung devices, despite running Android, which has proven to be less than secure. I wonder if they will approve phones by company or just all of android.

6. macrumors 6502

pretty sure 99% of IT people would agree with you.

7. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

Samsung's line of Galaxy Phones have something called "Samsung SAFE" which is not part of Android. Like iOS, SAFE provides:
    • Advanced Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync features
    • On-device AES 256-bit encryption
    • VPN connectivity
    • Top-tier, multivendor Mobile Device Management support

8. macrumors 6502a

Yeah sammy being on the list makes me quiver with fear. Android in any form is just a worm hole of hurt in a military environment. I don't care if its Samsung safe that's just balls.

9. macrumors regular

Still probably won't install wifi so the devices can actually be used.

10. macrumors 68000

BC2009

For the DoD to be only "one version behind" would be a huge step forward. I remember working with a government agency who needed their app to run on IE5 when iE8 was the newest version of IE.

11. macrumors member

pezj

First time long time...
    Only took the US Government 8 months after it was released to approve it. Not too shabby at all.

12. macrumors 603

Oletros

How has been proven less than secure?

Why?

Good that DoD clears Apple for use

13. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Having worked for the DOD, they generally are a version or so behind, because it takes them a while to approve new software.

14. JAT
    macrumors 603

This news has zero effect on my life whatsoever.

15. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

This is always how it works. The approval process is very long. Right now they aren't running the newest versions of Android or Windows either.

NIST has to approve it first. Generally then others do too after NIST does. FBI always takes a year or so in most cases.

This is from having worked with software approval with these agencies in the past. Having said that, it's also partly down to how complicated the program is. Obviously they can approve a small app much quicker than an entire OS. It's also part of how badly they want it. If there is a new app out there that does something they really want (pull passwords from a computer for instance), they'll make that testing and approval happen much quicker (although it can still take a while).

16. macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

So, where do I get a "United States of America — Department of Defence"-approved sticker and a hardcore milistyle cover for my iPhone?

17. macrumors 68000

Yes, until iOS7 is approved.

18. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

I stopped reading when they said they were approving an Android device.

19. macrumors 6502a

fenderbass146

so you still read the whole thing seeing as thats on the last line.....

20. macrumors 6502

You have no idea what you're talking about. Knox and SAFE from Samsung is extremely secure.

Once again, someone who doesn't know what they are talking about

Are you guys really in the bag with Apple this much?

Finally someone with some sense

Get over yourself

21. macrumors 6502

So does this mean rest of the Andorid phones are not secure enough?

I think one thing that is concerning was the report from couple of months ago showing the malware written for different operating systems. Android was clearly ahead. This is of course only one data point. Could mean a lot of different things.

22. macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes, I'm sure you know more about the security on Samsung devices than the US department of defense.

23. macrumors 68000

pubwvj

That's our government! Always on top of things and at the vanguard. How many years until they reach OS7? Yes, I realize it isn't out yet but OS6 is about to become history when the USgov finally gets it. :)

24. macrumors 6502

When discussing security that these certifications (and laws) evaluate and require - number of malware is irrelevant. Particularly when the source of said malware happens to be just about the first thing that would be sealed off.

Computer security is about:
    Accountability, Authentication, Nonrepuditiation, Integrity, and Confidentiality.

25. macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Thought the same thing, ridiculous..