Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin92

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
You have no idea what you're talking about. Knox and SAFE from Samsung is extremely secure.

Having been working in security and reverse engineering for the past several years that's a pretty assertive statement to make. The "SAFE" stuff is kind of irrelevant for a secure operating system, and Knox was announced just weeks ago - if you're going to rely on that being secure then I think that makes you the fool.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I stopped reading when they said they were approving an Android device.

so you still read the whole thing seeing as thats on the last line.....

tumblr_mdz3c09QsO1qg898o.jpg

:D That made LOL

Haters gonna hate :rolleyes:

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Immediately discredits this article, iOS 6 != hardware. And if they're about to useAndroid for "high security" purposes then i'd assume they have pretty low security requirements.

Isn't it open source platform (Android etc.) easy to "tailor" for your needs?

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I'm involved in the DISA pilot, and we have been using devices on iOS 6. Security is mostly handled by Good for Enterprise, so the level of security is pretty equal on both iOS & Android. Good for Enterprise provides 256 bit end to end encryption as well as 2 factor authentication and S/MIME email with smart card authentication support, so it's just as secure as Blackberry/BES.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I'm involved in the DISA pilot, and we have been using devices on iOS 6. Security is mostly handled by Good for Enterprise, so the level of security is pretty equal on both iOS & Android. Good for Enterprise provides 256 bit end to end encryption as well as 2 factor authentication and S/MIME email with smart card authentication support, so it's just as secure as Blackberry/BES.

Oh sheez, so who the hell cares what technology is used if it's using a third-party app to do so. I thought it was using core OS security features. Nevermind. Thanks for clearing that up.

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Department of Defense Ready to Approve iOS 6 for High-Security Uses

iOS is preferred over Android from a security aspect as it allows stricter management and application of security profiles/certificates that work with Apple's built in restrictions. This a definite advantage over Android.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
After reading the EFF report it makes perfect sense why the Feds love Apple.

"The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a group that protects digital rights, has given Twitter and ISP Sonic.net full marks for protecting users data, according to its latest “Who Has Your Back?” report.

Apple, Yahoo and Myspace were among the group deemed to be the least trustworthy."

http://thenextweb.com/twitter/2013/...otecting-user-data-apple-and-yahoo-score-low/

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
The biggest secrets are wide out in the open, blurred by the media and a rock-stupid public. Almost anything worth protecting is "all Greek" to a true enemy.

But of course war games are just that - games, not a plan for security.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I think they are ding this to have a safer system over all which is good. And in turn will probably best to keep their secrets hidden from the public. I'm sure the US don't want another Bradley Manning . . .

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Last edited:

ZechMarquis

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2013
Sounds about right

I'm a current civilian worker for the US Navy, and we currently are using Windows 7 Enterprise. I seriously doubt that mess called Windows 8 will show up on our systems !

For the most part, DoD personnel have to use the CAC or ID cards if you're going to login on any computer for work. Or you can just use a username and password in some cases where you're not dealing with sensitive information. Last night at the Navy Exchange, I overheard one F18 pilot confirm that some of his co workers are using iPads for some of their actual mission planning--an iPad is a lot lighter to have than carrying a big heavy bag full of maps you need to unfurl during a flight. I asked if anyone would be playing Angry Birds while the plane is on autopilot, and he got a big laugh out if that !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.