Depended Proccessor Questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pcuserx, Feb 10, 2003.

1. pcuserx macrumors member

Jan 12, 2003
    I am currently running a p3 993 mhz pc desktop. It has become very annoying how slow it is. When I am running programs and especially full screen games it lags horribly. Sometimes to the point of being unusable. Other things like starting up and general setting changes take along time too.

Anyways would a g3 700 mhz be better at things like this? I have been told that a p3 is faster than a g3. But I am asking whether a new iBook would start up faster, and run applications faster.

There would not be a reason for me to buy an iBook if it wasn't.
  2. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    Re: Depended Proccessor Questions

If your problem is games, the iBook is of no help.

I would suggest getting a better video card, and updating the processor in your PC. Figure out which motherboard you have, and find out how fast of a proc you can put in there. Make sure to get one with more cache (on board memory for the proc). Also make sure that you have an AGP slot for the new video card, and not PCI.

Above URL is a good place to find best prices for PC hardware.

Don't spend more than $100 for the video card. (GeForce4 MX 440 (128MB) will cover your needs just fine)

Don't spend more than $120 for the processor.

A nice place to buy from, customer service wise, and for timely delivery is:

I am not affiliated with any of the above, just a happy customer :)

Also, check into getting more RAM (256MB minimum) and a faster hard drive (7200rpm).
  3. pcuserx thread starter macrumors member

Jan 12, 2003
    Well actually I am getting a new computer anyways.

Either an iBook or an eMac. I'd prefer the iBook but I won't buy it if it's as slow/slower than my curent computer running applications.
  4. TheMightyG macrumors regular

Nov 6, 2002
    Just a thought: you may want to consider a used/refurbished powerbook if you're interested in gaming with a Mac portable. The 800Mhz Tibook from last spring can be had for about the same price as the top of the line ibook and will give you better oomph for gaming. Although the video card is the same (32 meg ATI 7500), I think that the G4 processor with 1meg L3 cache and better screen are two reasons why this choice may be a better one value-wise.
  5. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i think my 700mhz ibook is about as fast as a 1ghz p3, maybe a little faster for some things. It works well with games, but the 800mhz ibook has twice the vid card memory which would certainly help a lot for games. Its a great computer for the price, though obviously i would recommend the powerbooks if you have the money
  6. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    Just for a bit of a comparison, i have a 1GHZ P3 laptop with an original radeon 8mb card, that does OK with games, and a 500mhz g4 desktop with a radeon 8500, and the mac blows the pc away at quake, but its most likely the video card. The 2 comps are comporable in performance, with the pc only slightly faster, so an 800 or a 700mhz g3 should be as good as or better than a P3 933. But I have to make the same suggestion as the others, for games, you really need a powerbook, even a 667mhz G4 is better at some things than a 700mhz G3. I suggest saving up for the 867 mhz with radeon 9000 if you want to do any real gaming, or a 1ghz. Its costly, but well worth it.
  7. pcuserx thread starter macrumors member

Jan 12, 2003
    Well, here is an example of what I mean by applications.

When I open up a new program (like muicmatch or kazaa etc.) it takes the computer like 15 seconds to open up the application. When I change setting the computer lags for like 15 seconds.

In even basic games, I can hardly move at all. The mouse moves super slow in say starcraft. When I click on a unit the computer freezes for like two seconds.

Would an iBook be faster in terms of things like general applciations and basic games (liek starcraft)?
  8. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    I think an iBook would be faster than what you describe, but I think you have a major problem with your system. If you dont want to bother messing with your current computer, then by all means, get an iBook and enjoy. But its still worth fixing your current system. I suspect a memory leak, or some background application hogging the CPU.
  9. rice_web macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Minot, North Dakota
    I have my trusty iMac DV 400MHz machine, and I've always felt that it compares well to a 600MHz P3 (at some times less, others more, the only real setback is the video card).

So, I believe your performance with an iBook may be on par with your desktop machine, though the hard drive in the iBook is rather slow, and Mac OS X is anything but snappy. I don't think you'd regret the purchase, but I doubt you'd see any performance increase.
  10. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    I suspect a sound card driver problem. Try disabling sound on your system (e.g. in Device Manager) and see if that makes the clicking-on-a-unit faster. If you have sounds enabled for menu clicks and app opens, turn it off.

Other things you could do: Check your virtual memory configuration. Defrag the hard drive. What kind of CD-ROM are you using? Not some ancient 2X I hope?

I have a P3 733 which is OK for games. It doesn't lag on starcraft as you describe.

Your motherboard is not going to accept a P4 2.4GHz, you'll have to replace it and get new RAM, etc. You're probably talking $500 to make the PC faster. Replacing the CD-ROM and sound card might be quick, cheap upgrades.
  11. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    another note about the iBook:

no need to worry about startup time. most people start it once, and then just close it when they are not using it. sleep mode actually works on a Mac! open it up, screen comes to life, and your network connection comes back on in 2 or 3 seconds (nice to not have to be connected to network while sleeping).

you really should go to a local Apple Store (if there is a "local" one for you) and check them out. i am sure the staff would let you test out some of your concerns.

remember, if u buy a Mac, get the most RAM you can afford. OS X utilizes it well. 256MB should be a bare minimum for a good experience. 640MB (max) is recommended, IMO as a PC type who uses an iBook from time to time.