depleting HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liontamer, Mar 28, 2007.

1. liontamer macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2007
    Hey there, this is my first thread so excuse me/take pity/send me in the right direction.

I picked up a macbook in september for school (effin love it) and i've recently been putting a ton of music on it; however, my HD (80g) is now down to 3 available and I have NO CLUE where my HD space went. I have about 17G on itunes but barely anything in my movies (3), photos (.5), etc.

The only explanation I could think of if is that itunes is recopying all of my files from my music (21G) to itunes (17G) but I'm kinda unsure on that. But even if that's true that's barely above half. . .

Any help would be huge! Thanks!
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Try using WhatSize, OmniDiskSweeper, or Disk Inventory X to look for large files eating up your hard drive space. A common cause is a runaway log file that balloons to many GB in size. If you find one, you can usually just delete it with no worries to regain your lost space. If it comes back at some point, it might be time to investigate what's causing it, but they're usually one-off events.
  3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

Mar 8, 2007
    Blue Dot, Red State
    when you import to iTunes, do you have iTunes preferences set to "copy to Music folder"? If so, this will double the amount of disc space taken by your music.

check the size of your iTunes music folder in your home directory, you will know right off.