Depressing day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Dec 15, 2005.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I apologize those of you who will read this post. I'm just a little bummed and need to vent.

I had to take off work today b/c I have to finish a paper for school. It's been a nightmare and I'm just not motivated. I can usually feel some sort of inspiration when writing. This time, nothing.

Of course, as soon as I graduate, I will need to find a F/T job. But I have been rejected by everybody that has responded to me. You would think that a semi-competant law student could find something, especially since I'm not looking at big firms, but nope.

Then it started to snow. We have a wintry mix forecast. That means snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain, etc. Ugh....

I wanted to make pancakes or hot chocolate, but I have no milk in the house. I really want pancakes.

Then to make matters even worse, I've been bothered all day about this small bit of my PB case that is misshapen. I just noticed that it is misshaped b/c of a dent that is around the corner from the protrusion. Does not interfere with the the actual usability of the machine, but still depressing.

Yes I know there are people who have it worse than me. But, I'm depressed.:(

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

thats a good day ^_^ for most

hope you feel better

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Welcome to my world!! I have to make a list of ports and cities I have to do write ups on and I have zip.point.squat motivation lately. I usually start to get better after the winter solstice (seasonal affective disorder). Winter effs me up bad, even with the UV lights.

Seriously, though, if you have felt like this for more than a few weeks, you oughta talk to a professional about it.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Some extremely helpful suggestions:

Lack of motivation: Read some threads in the Political forum. At least one of them is sure to stir you up.

Writer's block: termpapers.com might be having a holiday special

Job rejections: Once you get enough rejection letters, you can sell the scrap paper for a tidy profit.

Snow: The crime rate drops when it snows.

Misshapen PowerBook case: Now it's easier to recognize your PowerBook when going through security at the airport.

No milk for pancakes: Sorry, you've got me stumped. There may be no possible way to solve that problem.

Did that help you feel better? :confused: :)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Have you thought about moving to somewhere with perpetual sun? like Australia or wherever. I mean if you really don't like winter.

You'll be alright. I've had a huge drop in creativity recently. Only in my games though. I've been churning through ideas for a few coursework projects but when it came to making the final levels in my game I had to ask fellow Macrumors members to help out :)

Whenever I feel down I just have a little mess around with my mates. stunt kiting, jogging or whatever. maybe try something thats good for you that you wouldn't normally do? midnight running is always fun :)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm dying for some English Toffee right about now.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Attached Files:

8. iGary Guest

iGary

9. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Hey man-- I was a semi competent law student 12 years ago; it took me 6-8 months to get a full-time job; it felt bleak at the time but it all worked out. You have an uncommon skill set and you will find a job; there is demand for you somewhere. I think it is important to take stock every once in a while and realize how fortunate you are; e.g. you are almost finished with your graduate education; you have a powerbook; you live in a place with 4 seasons, etc. Relax.

10. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Its days like those why men invented alcohol. You sound like you could use a beer.

11. vniow macrumors G4

Is it just me or are there a lot more of these type of threads during this time of the year?

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Who said men invented it?

Now men may have invented "sitting in a bar all day with me mates getting blotto", I'll give you that...

Personally, I think there was a cave lady who checked on the stores of grapes one day and said to herself.... "crikey, that's off! But I don't have anyfink else to hand... tell you what, I'll give a mug to that hairy bloke first and see what happens before I try any."

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

I know how you feel. I've been out of college for 6 months, and have yet to find a real job. I've had several interviews that have gone wonderfully, but haven't received an offer from any of them. Right now, I work with my dad doing AutoCAD drafting. The pay is decent, but its 2 hours from home. I got married 3 months ago and would really love to spend an extra 2-3 hours a day with my bride. Fortunately, the week after Christmas, we're spending the week at my parent's house, which is only 20 min from work, so I'll get to spend a lot more time with my wife.

Sorry about the pancakes... :(

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, "Winter Sucks" threads tend to cluster during... winter.... ;)

:D

Winter Socks threads, on the other hand, tend to cluster in my dryer's lint tray...

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I guess it's not gonna help your mood to know that one of my contractors just delivered me a big box of Roger's chocolates as a gift? (see the link in my sig)

I don't have anything to give him... guess that makes me cheap... on the other hand I pay him well, so $@#=w it, I'm eating the chocolates and I won't feel guilty.

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You could go with water -- makes the pancakes lighter too. Or make some bannock.

Here you go, I keep this for emergencies

Attached Files:

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I know its no consolation but some people I know have gone YEARS without a job bite. Its hard right out of school and dont be surprised if you do somthing other that your major as a first job. I sold books and had an Industrial Design degree. Six months later I at least had a design related job.

18. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Go Doctor Q! Those are very helpful suggestions.:D

I was having a productive research day till the Environment and Safety Officer (EH &S) dropped by and did a major inspection. So, I had to stop what i was doing and attend to him. Ugh...

Now my schedule is all off...Grr...

19. haiggy macrumors 65816

Depressing day is right... I won't see my gf for 11 days :( :eek:

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Think of all the things you can get accomplished, though, with all that free time....

21. jmufellow macrumors regular

get the already mixed up pancake mix...all you have to add is water.

22. vniow macrumors G4

I'm trying to figure out why I'm thinking so much about a girl I met at a party last Saturday whom I had to say less than 15 words to...

:(

23. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you took the smart path- law school

as opposed to sure failure - starving artist

2.5 years out of a reputable film school, and no "real" job from it

so, things could be worse. ;)

25. haiggy macrumors 65816

Yeah, I know. She finished her final exams of her first semester of Uni... so she's started her break now. Me on the other hand, I'm still in grade 11... lol So I have school until the 23rd. She went home today after we went out for an awesome lunch and that is 2.5 hours away (where my cottage is). I am going up on the 26th and won't see her until then.

But, you are right. I will get lots of things accomplished. My remaining school work, I can study for tests, and I can go out and get her Christmas present(s) and a birthday present (Her birthday is on December 22nd which kind of sucks since it is so close to Christmas and I am low on ideas...)