Dept. Homeland Security trying to keep hispanics from registering to vote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 22, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

This country is going to become more multi-cultural over the next twenty years. Certain America-first elements need to pull their heads out of the sand and adapt to changing times.

3. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

The Bush administration is turning America "the land of the free" into America "the home of the slave."

Our civil freedoms are being jeopardized as much as they were in the 60's. Now I know what Peter, Paul, and Mary were talking about when they said "How many years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free."

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Go figure... the list of shenanigans that has happened in Florida goes on and on. And it's governed by who again?

Keeping the minority vote down is no new tactic to the right though.
    Detroit's populace is what racial makeup? And the most offensive thing isn't the racial implications of what this guy said, it's the idea that 'suppressing' certian voters you feel will vote against you is an acceptable method of campaigning, as opposed to turning out your own supporters in large numbers.

The GOP is scared of high voter turnout. If only the elites vote, the GOP wins. If the regular folk vote, the GOP loses.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We should be grateful for these little moments of candor. It's not often we get to hear what the people in power really think, and what they're capable of doing to hold onto it.

6. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

California is probably in the lead as is Florida for multi-cultural. I think caucasians are the minority in California.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No longer the majority but the largest plurality (depending on how ethnicity is defined).

8. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

One vodka tonic and 3 heinekens. Please explain.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you've had that much to drink it would probably be useless to try.

10. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Quick question. Do you guys think that illegal's should be able to vote? Supposedly, only 10 states require proof of citizenship to vote. Seems like a non-issue, but apparantly it's causing quite a stir.

Was the DHS trying to keep Hispanic Americans or Hispanics from registering???

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You're totally changing the subject. Perhaps you missed it in the article, but the registrations were being held adjacent to a naturalisation ceremony.

And secondly (and most importantly), what the hell is the Department of Homeland Security doing fussing with voter registrations at naturalisation ceremonies? How do they begin to justify this as being within their juristiction or scope of their charge?

It's frickin' bizarre!

12. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Actually it was only 2 Heinekens. I decided not to open the third. One thing I am thankful for is that my Governator, Mr. Schwarzenegger, vetoed the bill giving illegal aliens a driver's license. I can't even believe this was an option or was trying to be passed.

Sure, come on in to our country, get a license and run. It's one thing to capture them walking across the desert and crossing the border but it's another to have a high speed chase on I-10 or something similar to catch them. I'm all for the "melting pot" that America is, but let's do it right.

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Come now.... It's all a marketing ploy... If you didn't make the USA somewhat exclusive would anyone want to come here? ;)

Actually I'm all for reforming the immigration policies and border control measures in this country.

I'm also for getting Mexico to get off it's economic ass so folks will stay there voluntarilly.

14. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Exclusive would be earning your driver's license by taking the steps necessary starting with citizenship.

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I always thought that Exclusivity involved a DMZ, razor-wire, attack dogs and armed thugs with sensory-enhancement gear.

Maybe I'm sneaking into the wrong nightclubs.... :eek:

Aren't the best nightclubs the ones on the millitary bases with the most expensive hardware? :cool: :p ;)

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Citizenship has never been a prerequisite for obtaining a driver's license. Even knowing how to drive isn't, apparently.

17. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I didn't know you'd been Lex! Our drivers test is a 3 minute, once around the block POS that keeps idiots on the road.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Aw, man, you mean when I visited Montréal, I went and got my Canadian citizenship and Quebec driver's license for nothing?!

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Citizenship is not a requirement, and shouldn't be, maybe a visa or greencard would be helpful instead of handing them out like condoms to 5th graders (no questions asked).

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Did you know that if you don't follow a very specific protocol in getting foriegn citizenship the US State Dept will revoke your US citizenship... Native born or not?

The bastards did it to my dad years ago and it was a helluva fiasco getting it all sorted out.

21. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Well, citizenship should be a requirement. Who's going to insure an illegal alien? If I get hit by a car with an alien driving it I'm going to kill if I haven't been killed (not literally). Giving a license to anyone is like giving candy to kids in the eyes of Mexicans crossing the border. I've heard that they make up a majority of the work force in California, which they do, so this is a way to pay them back. That's B.S. HAVE THEM GET RESIDENCY AND CITIZENSHIP FIRST. When I go to Mexico in my vehicle my insurance isn't the same as when driving in the U.S. I'm only covered for so many miles after crossing the border and I still think I need to obtain a permit of some sort. Above and beyond this mileage and I'm driving uninsured. Again, what U.S. insurance company is going to insure an illegal alien.

22. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

As I recall, in the state of California you currently do have to be a US Citizen or Registered Resident Alien.

A good point about insurance... If you have a CDL but can't register your car (lack of Insurance) exactly how good is that?

Better to clean up the immigration laws. Canada and the US have numerous "Work-pass" programs so folks who live in border communities can cross to work but not live. As I recall there's a payback feature that allows Canadians to have healthcare costs incurred in the USA to be paid for by their healthcare system as usual.

23. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

That's something that is agreeable. It's not abusing a privilege. Driving is not our right...it's a privilege. I live in the Mojave desert, Palm Springs area, and I just wonder how many people would be driving uninsured if this happened. Hell, a lot of them probably drive regardless of license. It's bad enough having to worry about all the Grayhairs (retirees, seniors) white-knuckling it around here while driving. They can't even see over the dashboard. My boss got T-boned about 4 months ago by an 80 yr old man and she is going through hell. The police officer didn't even issue this man a citation because he would have lost his license and not been able to take his wife to the doctor every week. Let's fix this before giving a license to an alien.

24. wwworry macrumors regular

going back to the original post: The issue about setting up a table on the sidewalk is totally covered in local zoning ordinances. They are very specific in that matter. I have no idea why the DHS would get involved in an issue like that unless it was politically motivated.