Descent going Windows-only? Vote at DescentBB

Discussion in 'Games' started by nagromme, Nov 22, 2004.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Apparently the long-awaited 1.5 update for Descent 3 might be Windows-only, locking out Mac and Linux players. I'm personally skeptical about ANY D3 1.5 news :p and I know at least two people are working on D3 native for OS X (and meanwhile it runs fine in Classic). So I figure D3 has a long life on Mac. What other game could take the place of Descent?

But there's a poll at aimed at gauging whether non-WIndows people still play Descent. If you do play--or will again when D3X is ready--vote and support Mac (or Linux) D3! Servers that won't let Macs join would certainly be bad, if it came to that.

It's probably NOT a lost cause, since Descent these days is so much community-driven. I'm sure others can chime in with more background on the whole issue, but I though I'd share the link.

Also, if you're looking for D3 servers but PXO is down, here are two sources for TCP/IP addresses:

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    people still play Descent??

wow. I guess people still play Doom 2, also....

but...well. to each his own.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I love the Descent series but it's on the old machine I rarely power up. Too many troubles with D3 to mention. I'm surprised it worked at all.
  4. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Why D3? (Yes, we're not stuck back at Descent 1 still ;) ) Because there's no other game of its kind. A first-person shooter with full zero-G freedom... and often indoors! In other words, sci-fi fighter combat with all the special effects--but instead of flight-sim complexity you have the (deceptive) simplicity of controls that are virtually the same as Unreal Tournament. And lots of game types including aerial CTF!

The answer then is GAME PLAY :) A longer answer would note the unique weapons like Smart Missiles, Frag Rockets, and the Mass Driver that really have no equal in other games.

And D3, despite its early bugs (like many games), is very stable in the later patches. (If you liked the game, fire it up under X--you'll be surprised to find it plays great on a newer Mac.)

More info on the 1.5 issue:

Short version: someone leaked (probably illegally) an old unfinished Win-only 2001 version of 1.5. Servers that run that patch will apparently not allow Mac or Linux players to join. Some servers run it anyway--it must fix some issues. (From my point of view, 1.4 and the move from OS 8 to 9 pretty much cleared up the early problems anyway.)

So even if this isn't the official all-platform 1.5 yet, it's always good to show support for Descent 3 on Mac!

As the highly-unscientific vote now stands, it looks like barely over 3/4 of D3 players say they use Windows. Looks like some cross-platform support is still there in the community :)