Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
With all the ports and a 7mm 2.5" drive.

Let's see how thin it can be if it is done the way it should.

Of course, the thermals should accept a quad core, but that is another story.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I'd settle for USB 3.0 ports. It's ridiculous they are still stuck at 2.0.

USB 3.0 is required, but they should be eSATAp ports.

It is not forbidden to put ports in the back.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The SD card slot can be thrown away. If you put ExpressCard, better.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The SD card slot can be thrown away. If you put ExpressCard, better.

No thank you.

A) First off Expresscards are likely to be too thick to fit into the air.

B) I've never used the Expresscard slot despite have, over the span of several years, 5 MBPs that have it. In my few months with the MB Air I've used the SD card slot dozens of times. Yes, I can buy adapters for the Expresscard slot, but that's an avoidable expense.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'd settle for USB 3.0 ports. It's ridiculous they are still stuck at 2.0.

I think there's a good chance of getting USB 3.0 on a 15" Air. There's a strong possibility that a 15" Air would be released with Ivy Bridge, which has native USB 3.0 support. So we will see, I guess.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think there's a good chance of getting USB 3.0 on a 15" Air. There's a strong possibility that a 15" Air would be released with Ivy Bridge, which has native USB 3.0 support. So we will see, I guess.

Has to be Ivy Bridge and has to be USB 3.0 standard... although counting on Apple is never wise - this seems like a fair assumption.

What I want most is complete elimination of the bezel around the displays. I believe a 15" LCD could nearly fit in a current 13" MBA. Get rid of the bezel and put as large of display as possible in each size MBA. I want a 15" display in the 13" MBA case, and I will buy the next generation MBA update. Also hopeful for an IPS display. Apple has put up with the iOS product lines (plus iMac and ACD) all having great IPS displays, so why not do it with the MacBooks? The visual experience is where Apple needs to focus next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.