Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

001346-drawings_500.jpg

Tw.Apple.Pro has published some design drawings which they believe to be for the next generation iPhone. The drawings aren't particularly revealing but they draw comparisons to the leaked iPhone parts video that was posted earlier this week.

That video was removed from YouTube at the demand of Apple, suggesting the contents were legitimate. The video showed that the break points in the frame between the two antennas have been moved to different locations, indicating that the antenna design has been tweaked despite a very similar overall appearance for the new iPhone.

140357-iphone_antenna_comparison.jpg

Image from pulled video.

Article Link: Design Drawings for Next iPhone?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple legal will have these drawings down by tomorrow morning.

Looks legit. 3 band parts instead of 2 suggests 2 separate antennae GSM + CDMA plus Bluetooth/WiFi

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
New/more separator splits in the antenna band so that they could put more antenna signals. Dual CDMA/GSM anyone?

Looks like the new antenna has four separate pieces as opposed to the previous two:
iphone_4_antenna.jpg

aplqna

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Maryland
Nothing to see here folks, move along. Not a major re-design by any means. Just some fiddling with the antenna's placement.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Most likely an incremental update. iPhone4 is an incredible piece of technology, engineered to perfection. It's unlikely to see any dramatic change anytime soon.

This looks to be akin to the iPhone3G to iPhone3Gs update. Faster processor, more memory, tweaks to the antenna to prevent the death grip, and the use of updated/smaller components.

Time is up for the exclusive AT&T contract so dual CDMA/GSM support is likely, rather than separate phones.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
New/more separator splits in the antenna band so that they could put more antenna signals. Dual CDMA/GSM anyone?

or instead, the top and bottom of the iPhone will become nothing, and only the sides will be the antenna, that way you won't be able to attenuation the antenna by putting your finger between the black splits/dividers.

wasn't that the issue, by putting your finger on that 1 spot of the phone you joined the antennas together causing it to loose signal?

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Makes Sense

Makes sense to me ... I'm not an engineer, but I would think putting the antenna at the top of the phone would have made the most sense and reduced overall interference.

Here is to looking forward to a great revision of a great product!

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The Drawings...

Match the central plate of the video... this is because of the camera, now surface mounted, and the central plate holes in the drawings matching those in the video...
Also the redesign of the wire to the longer one in the video matches the separation of the external aerial.

Also when you look on the video the frame screw positions have shifted so there is a separate band on the top which matches the new wire length...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Kind of obvious...

...but, it should be mentioned that the drawings could have been done by the same person who filmed the earlier YouTube video.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
or instead, the top and bottom of the iPhone will become nothing, and only the sides will be the antenna, that way you won't be able to attenuation the antenna by putting your finger between the black splits/dividers.

wasn't that the issue, by putting your finger on that 1 spot of the phone you joined the antennas together causing it to loose signal?

I could see the bottom becoming nothing and fixing the issue but that would still leave the piece at the top for using another signal type.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I am more curious on what the iPhone 6 will look like. We know the 4 was in development for almost 2 years.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Makes sense to me ... I'm not an engineer, but I would think putting the antenna at the top of the phone would have made the most sense and reduced overall interference.

Here is to looking forward to a great revision of a great product!

Except everyone cries foul when the antenna is located right next to your head. That's why they are usually located at the bottom of phones which use an internal antenna design.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Keep 'em coming, all this news about the next iPhone is great news since i skipped the iPhone 4.
I'd really like a better battery life and processor, more than anything.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
N90 = iPhone 4?

VERY GOOD POINT! I may have to eat my words on this being an iPhone 4 prototype part.

SUPPOSEDLY the CDMA iPhone is coded N92. These documents say N90.

I'll be watching this closely to see how it turns out. Very curious stuff going on here.

Edit: Looking more closely, I'm seeing a date as well. 2010 7 29 (Upper right of 3rd pic...right above the N90 designation). Can't make out what the red stamp says.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

It would also radiate more RF energy right into your brain, and thus have a higher (and much less desirable) SAR rating. The antenna at the bottom configuration is an attempt to radiate microwaves away from your head, not directly into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.