Design, Paint and Print Monsters With Autodesk's '123D Creature'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Autodesk recently released a new iPad app for novice 3D modelers, 123D Creature, which allows creators to use gesture controls to mold monsters out of virtual clay.

[​IMG]
    Creatures are designed from the ground up, with sculpted features and painted-on fur, feathers, and skin. Completed projects can be exported as an image, a 3D model, or printed using a 3D printer.
    123D Creature can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99 on sale. The app is regularly priced at $7.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Design, Paint and Print Monsters With Autodesk's '123D Creature'

2. macrumors 6502

Autodesk must love the App Store. They've got so many (excellent) apps on there now, just goes to show how much of a difference the App Store does make.

3. macrumors regular

This basically just looks like the creature editor from Spore, which, incidentally, was about the only fun part of that game, in my opinion.

4. macrumors regular

What a monster!! :O #ballin

5. macrumors 68030

baryon

Wow! This is what 3D modelling should be like :D

6. macrumors 68030

needfx

I bought it already no second thoughts

also, that big black gap at the end of the video is very unprofessional

7. macrumors member

Builddesign

now just do this for revit.

8. macrumors 68030

needfx

come to think of it, pixologic & the other guys that made argento, are seriously left behind

9. macrumors 6502a

Spore definitely wasn't the one to invent that. I remember playing with Z-brush circa the year 2000 and it had a feature very much like this app.

10. macrumors 6502

The App Store is awesome in some ways, bad in others. I can't speak to iOS, but with the Mac App Store (MAS), there are a lot of great apps, many of them free, but there's also a lot of junk.

Note that Autodesk has some nice free apps in the MAS:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/autodesk-inc./id295089690?mt=12

11. macrumors regular

So after a novice modeler creates a creature in his/her iPad, what will he/she do with it?

12. macrumors member

Nothing you cant export them to anything

13. mw360, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

macrumors 6502a

mw360

You can export to OBJ which will get you into any other 3D app, or you can export to a 3D printer. This info from the link in the article. Where did you get yours?

14. macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I've had great fun playing with this app. There are, however, a few little issues that I have with it.

First off, the app doesn't do a good job of identifying the ground plane, let alone allow you to change it. This isn't that big a deal, until you get around to trying to use the rendering engine, where the ground plane is visible with shadows. You can end up with some funny results...

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 6502a

Too bad AutoCAD for Mac is a horrible program that causes constant crashes and operating issues! If they can't fix their flagship program, how will they convince anyone to use their other programs?!?