Design student considering iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stib, Nov 28, 2004.

1. stib macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2004
    I need some advice on selecting a reliable and moderately priced iBook. I might go to 12'' to save some cash and also go with a smaller HD (30gig). I'm sure that will be substantial for running design software but i'm not sure how long the HD will last before I fill it up. Are there any other students using an iBook right now that have pros and cons on this laptop?

p.s. If you have one for sale please let me know.
  2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I am using my 700mhz iBook 12" with photoshop and illustrator
    and it works just fine. The RAM needs to be maxed out for best performance and HD space is not much of an issue unless you are working with 150mb files and dont have a huge music library...
    It would be worthwile to spend a couple hundred more and get the 14", the extra screen space makes it easier to use the tools in PS and Illustrator
    and an external mouse is absolutely neccessary if you want to do any fine work.
  3. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    Sorry chap.

It is the same resolution as the 12". You are not getting anymore "extra screen space". A seperate monitor won't help either. If you want more real esate, look into the Pbook and perhaps an earlier model of it if your budge is tight. Or perhaps an earlier model of a Powermac G4.

I use my iBook for taking notes, web surfin', email, yadda yadda yadda.

Powermac for design. With two mointors with a lot of real estate!

PS, I am graduating from college in 18 days. With a BFA and a concentration in Electronic Imaging!
  4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
  5. deebster macrumors 6502

Oct 21, 2004
    Olde Englande
    There is a spanning hack (that is by all accounts very safe) that will allow iBooks to span to another monitor, and from what I gather they will support greater resolutions than the built in 1024 x 768 maximum.

I'd like to be able to check that but my G3 600 is unable to run the hack.
  6. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    The Ideal iBook Setup (for a 'design student'):

12" iBook 1.2 ghz with combo and 30GB HD: $949 + tax/shipping
    1GB RAM: $229 at DMS
    External FW drive: $125 for a case + 3.5" ATA drive (160GB)
    Cheapo 19" (with spanning hack): $50 used
    External mouse: $15 USB (bluetooth aint worth it yet)
    Carrying sleave: $40

TOTAL: ~$1450

1. The 30GB internal HD will fill up fast, esp. if you end up doing any animations. I started with the 60GB internal b/c I have a lot of music I like to keep on my iBook. But an external solution should be OK for school work.

2. You can skimp on the ram and get a 512MB module ($80) to start off, but you'll eventually feel the strain running all those Adobe apps. Maybe in a year or so, you can get the 1GB modules when they're cheaper.

3. You could get an Apple refurb iBook G4 1.0 ghz for $150 less, if you're really skimping.