Designating MP3 as an "Audio Book"

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dfreer, Jun 5, 2006.

1. dfreer macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just got my iPod, looked around on the internet about my problem and couldn't find the answer. Basically, I have several audio books in .mp3 format that I can't seem to designate as Audio Books (so that they show up in the Audio Books folder on my iPod, instead of in my main music collection. Any help would be appreciated.

2. milo macrumors 604

3. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As BollywooD implies the iPod will only see M4B and Audible (.aa?) content as proper Audiobooks, but apart from converting to AAC and M4B there is another workaround which is to create a smart playlist called "Audio Books" and include all files that have "Book" or "Spoken" in the genre. Exclude files in this playlist from your other playlists.

The main drive for the "make bookmarkable" script is gone since you can now check the box to remember your last playback postion and skip while shuffling in iTunes, even for MP3s...

Personally, I'd avoid transcoding low bitrate MP3s to AAC where possible. Compression artifacts give me a headache if I'm listening to something long enough... If the MP3 audiobook is encoded at 192 kbps or better, you might be able to get way with it.

B

5. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

the procedure i provided earlier tags the file as an audiobook on your ipod, but not in itunes.... but if you process it (again) throu lostify - it is displayed as an audiobook in itunes too!!

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think reimporting the files after using above script should work, too.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Further clarification about re-importing.

I haven't used the script recently, but I do convert M4A to M4B somewhat regularly using a simple hex editor, and I find that you need to remove the M4A files from the library entirely and import them as M4B for both iTunes and iPod to recognize them as audiobooks. Don't just have iTunes ask you where to find the file.

B