Designer seeking a bit of assurance on my move to buy a 15" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by breakdown, Jan 14, 2004.

1. breakdown macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm a newbie to this forum seeking some advice. I'm not a newbie to macs though, in my young life at 23 I'm already up to my fifth mac, a Quicksilver 867.

Anyway, I'm a young graphic designer and my plan now is to fly out to NYC from the midwest soon to hop around friends' places while looking for a sublet and a job. Once I find a job/internship, and/or a permanent residence beyond the sublet, I will fly back and drive up all my belongings, so a PB seems imperative since I could be floating around with only bare essentials for a long time. I need to be able to update my portfolio and have all my normal programs with me to update and design, and maybe even light freelance on the fly if need be in those first few weeks/months of uncertainty.

I was planning on ordering a 15" 1.25Ghz as soon as this week through MacMall to get the free ram (for a total of 1Ghz) and printer (I need a small/normal sized one that I can put in my suitcase, right now I have a huge Epson 1200 I can't take with me yet) but after my old college roomie started snarking at me saying "you should wait a month," and "whatever, you always buy things right before something else comes out anyway," :mad: I became wary, and I just need a bit of assurance on a few things:

1 - This question is probably what has me the most wary. There are rumors of new G5 desktops for next week, I've surfed around the rumor mills and it doesn't look like new PBs too, but my old roomie thinks otherwise. It's not so much the new upped model that worries me, but also the price drop for the old ones that goes with it. So, should I wait and for how long? I can't afford to wait too long, but then again I don't want to have any regrets.

2 - Compared to my existing computer, I probably won't care to go back to my old QS desktop at all, right? Like, is this a worthy/noticeable upgrade for me? Because even though my comp only has 384 MB of RAM now, I don't really notice it being slow. My hunch is I'll be pleased with the speed increase (I don't even have a DVD drive now because I downgraded back then!). My programs of use are the basics for a designer: PS, Illustrator, Quark/Indesign, and Flash, and I normally use Safari, iPhoto, iTunes and iChat on at the same time. I don't do much video work and only dabble in it now and again.

3 - I've never owned a laptop before, and I've never lived in a city like NY. How does one keep their laptop safe at home when it's left behind and out and about with it? I'd imagine I'd want to guard it with my life even more so than my iPod. Haha. Also, will the keyboard be hard to adjust to? (not concerned about backlight because I don't look when I type) Also, I will have a Graphire 2 so I don't need to worry about adjusting to the trackpad, it has a 3 button mouse I'd be using.

4 - I think I've seen this one answered, but it's worth double checking -- the problems with the 15" screen seems to be settled now, right? And something about it not closing properly?

Ok, after writing this I already forget my other concerns/questions but I think that covers my questions. I'm not thinking about the 17" because it's a bit out of my price range and the 15" specs look right, I think I can suffer the loss of space, and after I finally land a job I'll probably be using their desktops during the day anyway (unless they end up being far slower/older than the laptop!)

I've read all the PB threads on the first few pages, you guys seem very helpful (I love mac people). Sometimes you just need that extra little push and maybe that's what I'm looking for right now. :p I just don't want to be too hasty with my decision to change computers so soon.

Thanks for your time :)

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    Re: Designer seeking a bit of assurance on my move to buy a 15" PB

1 - This question is probably what has me the most wary. There are rumors of new G5 desktops for next week, I've surfed around the rumor mills and it doesn't look like new PBs too, but my old roomie thinks otherwise. It's not so much the new upped model that worries me, but also the price drop for the old ones that goes with it. So, should I wait and for how long? I can't afford to wait too long, but then again I don't want to have any regrets.

How long can u wait. Wait till then. If by then it hasn't arrived, then go out and buy. Personally i say buy now, because its gonna be updated sooner or later and you just wanna maximize your time with the machine instead of waiting around for the next best thing.

2 - Compared to my existing computer, I probably won't care to go back to my old QS desktop at all, right? Like, is this a worthy/noticeable upgrade for me? Because even though my comp only has 384 MB of RAM now, I don't really notice it being slow. My hunch is I'll be pleased with the speed increase (I don't even have a DVD drive now because I downgraded back then!). My programs of use are the basics for a designer: PS, Illustrator, Quark/Indesign, and Flash, and I normally use Safari, iPhoto, iTunes and iChat on at the same time. I don't do much video work and only dabble in it now and again.

Well this laptop has the capability of being faster than ur current machine stock, BUT, if you max out your current machine i think the fact that its a desktop might inch it out just a bit. Either way, performance and portability as the main factors, for a desginer who has to work on the fly i say this is a good upgrade.

3 - I've never owned a laptop before, and I've never lived in a city like NY. How does one keep their laptop safe at home when it's left behind and out and about with it? I'd imagine I'd want to guard it with my life even more so than my iPod. Haha. Also, will the keyboard be hard to adjust to? (not concerned about backlight because I don't look when I type) Also, I will have a Graphire 2 so I don't need to worry about adjusting to the trackpad, it has a 3 button mouse I'd be using.

You can buy a lock chain from kensington, i have one but i find i don't use it, the pb have a little space on teh side where the chain hooks up to, but i find it more hassle setting it up each time, especially when you move around a lot. if i do leave my laptop at home and its not doing something important, i put it away in a not so obvious place.

On the keyboard - its great, its pretty sturdy, though smaller than the normal keyboard it shouldnt take you more than a week to get really adjusted, you wont have trouble typing to begin with, unless you have fingers the size of sausages.

4 - I think I've seen this one answered, but it's worth double checking -- the problems with the 15" screen seems to be settled now, right? And something about it not closing properly?

yeah they seem to have settled that issue, if not if you get a dud, you can return it since its under warranty

3. breakdown thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess not too long, probably only a week or two. I guess I should just wait till the rumored G5 updates on the Tuesday, and if they don't come that day, the 24th. I'd assume they'd announce everything together, but then again maybe not.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I didn't even think about just simply tucking the PB away out of sight, but that's a great idea that makes sense.

---
    edit: I just realized the MacMall free shipping deal expires on the 18th. It only covers up to 30 bucks, but still, it's 30 bucks. Maybe I should just get it now. :eek: :confused:

4. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

hey dude

first off -- even if updates come out, the G5 is not going to be in PB's for awhile!

so at the MOST, if you wait a while, you'll save a few hundred dollars --- however, you may have to wait a few weeks to get your hands on a new PB, anyways....... so overall, you gotta be thinking that, if you wait, you'll probably be waiting a good 2 months, at least

--- if you can afford to wait that long, good...... if not, you won't regret your purchase

second --- if you're concerned about safety of your PB --- then I recommend the 12" --- that thing can go EVERYWHERE with you! Provided, that you have a good backup/messenger bag, as its 4 pounds of weight NEVER seem to get heavy

in addition --- the new 12" has a DVI port....... so for you, my ultimate recommendation would be a 12", as well as a 20" or 17" cinema display that you can plug into it when you get back home

and the 12" only has a 1ghz processor, but 1 ghz is pretty good --- otherwise, the 15" will also serve you well, and I hear that apple is addressing the White Spots problem

5. breakdown thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely agree with that -- Realisticly I know G5 PBs will be too long away, even if it came out tomorrow I wouldn't get one because it'd be revision A. I had one Mac lemon (B&W G3), I do not want another! haha

And I also agree how if it's a minor speed bump, it won't be too big of a deal, but I was more concerned about the price drop. But if it's only a few hundred, I guess that's not too bad?

As for 12", I think those little guys look really cool, but the HD, RAM, and most importantly screen are probably too small for my needs. I'll definitely take a last look at them in person just to be sure though, but I think they're just too small for design work.

Thanks for reply :cool:

I guess I should just go with my gut and not look back. The day I received my B&W the new g4s were annoucned, and life went on for me then. :p

6. gemio17 macrumors regular

Breakdown- good luck with your move-NYC is the best place on earth-but, contrary to what you may hear, IT"S NOT THAT BAD!! You probably think it's a lot worse than it is....so if you have your laptop in your apt. it should be safe, well depending on where you live of course-may I suggest a serious deadbolt on your door and renters insurance just in case-renters insurance will cover any thefts or loss due to fire, water damage etc., but don't worry too much about it. Just don't look like a tourist and you'll do fine- my biggest recommendation is that you get a laptop bag that doesn't look like a laptop bag. (I got the incase sling pack, you know-something like a casual messenger bag when you're not going on interviews) Really, if you don't look/act like a tourist, no one's gonna bother with you.-just don't hang out at the times square subway station at 3 am with some brenthaven laptop briefcase-you'll be asking for it... :) Good luck, NYC Rocks!

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

As an owner of the laptop you're thinking of buying, I can't begin to explain how much I like this thing!! It's a great computer.

As for some of your questions...

1. Don't count on upgrades really soon, especially not G5's. I think those will come out late this year, around when the new PBs came out last year.

2. Is it a noticable upgrade? Yes--in addition to a faster processor, there's a lot of other technology that's been incorporated. Faster ram, faster bus speeds, Airport Extreme, etc.

3. I protect my laptop like it's one of my offspring. It's pretty much always with me--I bring it to work, I use it at home, and if I am going to leave it at home, I leave it in my laptop bag. I also think it's a good idea to try and pick a bag that doesn't scream "hey I've got a laptop in here."

4. I had to send my laptop out twice to have the white spots fixed. I can say now that the problems have been resolved. I've had it back for several months now, and the spots have not come back. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

8. breakdown thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks guys, the thoughts you provided were helpful. It's looking more and more like a good idea.

Unless something or someone comes along to convince me otherwise, I think I may order it as early as tomorrow morning. :cool:

9. breakdown thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I'm typing this on my new PB 15" right now. :D

It's a beautiful, amazing machine. I can't wait to get my files up on this thing and start seeing how the design programs work. The screen size feels perfect too.

I have to admit having important files on such an expensive, small machine makes me very nervous about ruining it or losing it. :eek:

10. atacinus macrumors 6502

hey, welcome to the city. As far as keeping a laptop safe here...i have the same book, and the only security measure I use is a cable to lock it to my desk, that.s because I.m in a dorm up here...being in an apartment, you should be fine without one...and I.m going to echo gemio and say DO NOT get a case that looks like a laptop case. I got myself a sleeve and just throw the thing in an empty backpack...everyone carries backpacks or bags in NY, so no one will care too much. egh...just out of curiosity what part of NY are you looking at? Manhattan? Brooklyn?...

Christien