Designing a Forum, Need some help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Oct 10, 2006.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I'm trying to put together a school related forum and I was thinking about using Vbulletin. I would be similar to the MR Forums layout wise. The website is confusing to me as I really want to know the full potential of Vbulletin. Would it be easy enough for a me as a 14 year old? I'm tech savvy and have just worked with basic HTML before. Also, what kind of web hosting would I need? I just need a basic outline of everything I need. I'd really appreciate the help!

2. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I've never installed Vbulletin anywhere, but I have installed phpBB before. If the Vbulletin installation is anything like phpBB, you'll be fine. Just know the server MySQL account name and password, plus a DNS *record or something* and that's it. Fairly easy.

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

IS there anyone who has used it? Besides Arn of course...

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I installed it for a friend...

Its pretty easy to install.

I personally like IPB better though, however it has a tendency to crash safari!

5. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I've set up several VB-based forums and sites.

VB is very easy to install, and skinning it with a design is just like any other site if you know HTML and CSS (you must be good with CSS to make a VB forum look really unique)

Looking at the style section your first time can be daunting at first, since php variables and VB's code is littered all over the place, but as long as you read it carefully and pay attention to what it is your theming (post block, for example), you should be fine.

You'll need a web host that supports PHP and mySQL databases.

A Small Orange is the cheapest and most recommended host I know of. $30 a year for their "Tiny" package would be ideal for a site like the one you want.