Designing a managing system for all Mac problems

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by snipper, Feb 28, 2004.

1. snipper macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2004
    Even after a lifetime of using computers, you occaisionally run into a problem you can't fix on your own.

I've seen bugs even the 14 books on OS X that the biggest bookstore had in store, didn't mention.

Apple has a large set of known problems and workarounds you can search, but not everything is documented, specially not very recent bugs.

Forums on websites are better, since they are a permanent form of communication, but older discussions are often hard to find. Also, users are scattered over dozens of forums.

Why not use the best of both worlds and build a website where everyone can look up AND add problems AND solutions?

Kind of like a Wiki, but better organised into a streamlined, multiple-choise system, protected and with a (hidden)email system to warn users of new content, like in a forum.

I can't find such a system (do you? let me know!), so I intend in building it myself if I have to. I have a 'dummy version' set up over here with just some fake text, to give you something more 'real' to look at.
  2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    Well a centralized system for this kind of thing has never really existed, but should you create one, I can guarantee it would be put into CONSIDERABLE use.

For example, my motherboard is based on the nVidia Nforce2 Chipset. I just happened to stumbled onto the website. A few days on the board, and my problems are solved. The board also attached "FAQ's" and general advice that they pinned at the top for newbies to read. I can definitely say that forums will always be more useful than tech support.