Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
You can "design" iOS apps (graphics, sounds, web-app mockups, etc.) on a PC just fine. You can write code in any text editor.

But you can't build or debug iOS apps, run them on Simulators or iOS devices, or submit apps to the iOS App store (in any supported manner) directly with a PC.

Good luck with the unsupported stuff, as it usually breaks a couple months (or when Apple introduces new stuff)... after you spend a month getting it sort-of working.

What you can do is try renting or getting an account on one of those Mac-in-the-cloud services, and running Xcode on a distant Mac from some sort of remote desktop or VNC program on your PC. There's supposedly even a way to redirect USB so you can install stuff on devices. But there's also lag.

It's just a ton easier to just get a cheap used Mac, and use it instead of your expensive PC.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
Even though you (OP) have been quite rude in this thread. I am going to help. If he is serious aboyut iOS development he need to ditch that machine and get a Mac. It can run OS X and Windows and the hardware is absolutely stellar.

If he wants to stick with that machine and windows, try Mono http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page He will have to learn .net and C# first. It was recently covered on Rene Ritchie's show Debug. Listen to the episode.

If he wants help from this community he needs to come online and be more polite than yourself.

But seriously, he needs a mac.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
OP the reason you can't develop on a Windows machine is because the core technologies involved are heavily built around a Mac.

I can't (to my knowledge) do .net programming, DirectX programming, or other Windows style programming on my Mac the same way I can't do iOS development on a Windows machine.

For development a Mac is always the better way to go because it can run all operating systems so you're prepared regardless of what you need.

Also a system like that is overkill for programming (assuming that is what he bought it for).

$M.H$

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Well , I read all replies
Thank you all :)
any way my brother wasn't really interested to make iOS apps
Actually he think about the whole thing , after he bought the laptop

* the Mac isn't very popular where he lives

* I think it has a SSD it is extremely FAST !

* sorry because I was angry but I think if you spent a 3000 $ for something it have to be the best & can do every thing ! :D , I have never saw laptop with these strong advantages :)

BTW : how much is the most expensive & cheapest Mac ? ( in U.S $ )

PS / sorry for my English

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
how much is the most expensive & cheapest Mac ? ( in U.S $ )

An answerable question only because they all come from Apple... they range from ~$600 and go all the way up to $12,000. I remember a coworker once tried using the $12K system as an example of how expensive Macs are and I just had to face palm... no crap if you want the best of everything it'll cost a lot.

It'd be pretty much impossible to say what the most expensive PC is... I'm sure you could spend well into the millions to get an R&D supercomputer that no mere mortal will ever need.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You need to be running OS X to make iOS apps. Either with a real Mac or a Hackintosh.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
BTW : how much is the most expensive & cheapest Mac ? ( in U.S $ )

Refurbished Macs are often the best deal, around $500 to $600.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
If you don't need the Apple warranty, used Macs can found for around $100 cheaper. Anything less than 4 years old will run Mavericks & Xcode just fine.

On the other end, you can fully load a Mac Pro to well over 10 grand USD.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
An answerable question only because they all come from Apple... they range from ~$600 and go all the way up to $12,000. I remember a coworker once tried using the $12K system as an example of how expensive Macs are and I just had to face palm... no crap if you want the best of everything it'll cost a lot.

It'd be pretty much impossible to say what the most expensive PC is... I'm sure you could spend well into the millions to get an R&D supercomputer that no mere mortal will ever need.

There is little point in arguing with someone with an agenda, especially when they make such a silly comment. I think it's more realistic to compare how far your money will go when looking at configurations you might actually purchase. If it was either for personal use or a one man shop, it's unlikely that their budget would go to $12k on the box alone. It could reach that if they required very specific peripheral items.

aly

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2006
Scotland
Embarcadero Rad Studio allows you to develop iOS apps on a PC. Major downside is you still need a mac to actually compile the app and submit it to the app store. I've played with it a bit (used RAD Studio in work) and its pretty decent for what it is. And companies are now offering the ability to rent a virtual mac to do the compiling and submitting to the app store. But RAD Studio is v. expensive for the average jo...

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I can't believe he spent $3,000 without even doing a 5 second Google search on whether he even could create iOS apps on it. Wow.

I personally built a hackintosh and it has pretty amazing specs as well. But turning a laptop into a hackintosh is not an elementary operation to be undertaken by someone with a proven inability to use Google.

blueshogun96

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
This thread is kinda old now, so why beat him to an even more bloodier pulp than what's already been done?

Either way, I still loled.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I think there are a few more options:

- Mac in the cloud
- VM

I haven't used either of these but they are touted to work.

mac in the cloud sucks for Xcode purposes
I genuinely feel sorry for the guy, 3k down the gutter but hey, he can surf the internet now!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
mac in the cloud sucks for Xcode purposes
I genuinely feel sorry for the guy, 3k down the gutter but hey, he can surf the internet now!

Maybe it'll make a nice gaming rig? It can run Unity, which if he wants to make iOS games, that would work well.

But anyways, this topic is from May. We can stop beating up on him now - it's been 4 or 5 months.

prestong

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
Why has no one suggested VMWare Workstation. OS X runs fine in VMWare Workstation with one very easy to do patch.

Strange Famous

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
If you want to use Xcode and objective C, then you need a mac, or a hackintosh. However you can use programs like Corona in windows, but still need a mac to do certificate signing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.