Desinstaller screwed up my OSX install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apunkrockmonk, Apr 10, 2006.

1. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I installed the Alesis mixer drivers on my Macbook Pro only to find out they apperently will not work with either 10.4.6 or intel macs, one or the other. So I go to remove the drivers. The pdf that came with the drivers says to use desinstaller or a similar utility to remove the drivers if need be. Well, I used desinstaller, it looked like everything was good to go, so I rebooted to make sure it worked.

Now it just hangs endlessly at the grey startup screen with the wheel spinning forever. I tried FSCK and resetting the PMU. I was pretty positive this would not help, I did them just incase.

So basically my question is, is there anything short of reinstalling Tiger from scratch that I can do to fix this? I wouldn't mind doing it really, except for the fact that I don't have my install discs here on campus.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

my advice: Get a linux LiveCD so you can get your system back on it's feet. Back up all of your files onto an external HD, then reinstall the OS.

You could try and muck around in the filesystem and try and find the problem, but I don't think anything would jump out and say "Hey, I'm preventing your system from starting up"

3. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Is there even a Linux Live CD available for Intel Macs?

Also - this is hardly good advice*. The best advice would be to do an Archive and Install of Tiger again. That way you keep all your apps and user data, but have a shiny new OS installation that works.

*At least to the majority of Mac users who are unlikely to feel comfortable running Linux on their machines.

4. apunkrockmonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I just got home and did the archive and install. Being a semi-recent Mac convert (I used OS 7.1-8.6 then switched to XP then switched back to Mac again when Tiger came around). I have never really had the need to use archive and install.

I am flat out amazed at how well it worked. Everything is just how I left it. Only OSX works again.

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Glad to hear it!