desktop annoyance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amholl, Feb 4, 2005.

1. amholl macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

on my iBook's desktop some programs have disk images that look like my flash drive when i plug it in. These include Thunderbird, Firefox,and the UT2K4 demo. Here is a pic. Thanks
    -amholl
    ps-go pats! :)

Attached Files:

2. Bear macrumors G3

Did you follow the installation instructions for those programs?

Firefox and Thunderbird get distributed in disk images (.dmg) - after you download it, you mount the disk image (which is what those icons on your desktop are showing) then you're supposed to copy the applications in to /Applications and then eject the disk images.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

They are .dmg (disk image) files that have been mounted. It's normal. A lot of OS X software is distributed this way. If you click the disk image in the Finder, you'll see the contents, which will normally be the application and any README files and docs. What you are supposed to do is drag the application icon to your Application folder (or wherever you would like to install); ditto for the docs. Once you've done that, you can eject the disk image and trash the original .dmg file you downloaded.

HTH

4. amholl thread starter macrumors 6502

I did. Thats why its weird. I take the disk images off of the desktop and open the app and the disk image comes right back up.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

What do you mean you "take the disk image off the desktop"? You don't need to move the disk image anywhere. The icons you see on the desktop represent the mounted disk images. They should show up on the left side of your Finder window. When you select one in the Finder side bar, you should see the contents, i.e. the app and docs. You need to drag those files to the installation folder of your choice, e.g. Applications. Once you do that, you start the app from that folder. At this point you eject the disk image, either from the Finder or by crtl-click on the disk image icon, selecting eject. Once you eject it, the icons you are complaining about should go away, and they should no longer appear on the left side bar of the Finder. You can also trash the original file that you downloaded that contained the disk image (usually also compressed).

Disk image files are like virtual CDs, if you will.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Did you copy the the programs to /Applications? Or did you just add them to the dock?

It sounds like you added the copy in the disk image to the dock.

7. amholl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies.I did copy the apps and docs into the apps folder on the macintosh HD. I guess I could leave them there, but they are knid of annoying. Thanks

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You copied the application located INSIDE of the disk image to your Applications folder, correct. Your symptoms makes it sound like you copied the whole image to you applications folder - which isn't the right thing to do.

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

10. amholl thread starter macrumors 6502

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The complexities of the human mind. ;) :)

Good to know you finally got it resolved. :)

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

No problem.