Desktop background problems....

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ScottDodson, Nov 26, 2003.

1. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Alright, I did a search for this, and didn't find anything....so sorry if this is old :(

OK, I was switching through my desktop backgrounds to see what looks the nicest...and sys prefs. all of a sudden quit on me, and now my desktop & screen saver pane won't work (either by right-click or through sys prefs). Now I can't change my backgrounds or my screen saver properties. Does anyone know how to fix this?? If not...how can I manually change my desktop background?? When I was switching though them, it quit on one that isn' t the best to have on (one of me and my g/f). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well that's not good, i can't say what caused it, but i can probably help you. open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder. Click "first aid". Select your hard drive (at left), and click "repair disk permissions". Wait until it's finished. then try.

this is kind of the fix-all for OS X problems. more than not, this will fix any file-related problem you are having.

:)
    pnw

3. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

:(

It didn't work.......noooOOOOOO

Thanks though...

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

were you using the standard Apple desktops? or did you move a heap of other pics into the backgrounds folder?

i'm not too sure what causes this, but i never move any files into the background folder with the default backgrounds. i always keep a seperate wallpapers folder and then select that folder from within Sys Prefs.

alot of people seem to be having problems with the Panther upgrade. or did you do a clean install? i just had to re-install Panther to fix some problems, you might have to do the same as well.

5. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

You may be best off to just grab the system software disk and do a restore install... It sounds like something went corrupt.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit