desktop DB/DF?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eyeon, Aug 9, 2004.

1. eyeon macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA
    I am a recent switcher, and in my transition to Mac I have noticed that whenever I copy anything to a CD or USB key drive or anything, OSX automatically includes desktop DB and desktop DF files. I once heard (I potentially read in somewhere in these forums once upon a time) that there is a way in Toast to make it so that it doesn't burn these files automatically. Anyone know how I would go about doing that? Just out of curiosity, what are those files anyway?

Thanks in advance.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    These files are the Desktop database and Desktop file. These MacOS 9/Classic files store your icons, your CREATOR/TYPE codes, and the association between your documents and the applications that can read and/or write them. From System 7 to MacOS 9.2, these files made the Mac the Mac.
  3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    you do know they are still in OS X right? so they continue to make the Mac...the Mac :p.

they basically store the size, placement of windows, icons, etc.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm pretty sure you can do it in Toast, though I don't know much about it.

I do know that you can delete them using Terminal:

Open Applications->Utilities->Terminal.

In Terminal, type (but do not hit return!):
    There is a space after 'cd' (i.e., so far, it's "cd ").
    Drag the folder containing the files you don't want to the Terminal window and "drop" it - that'll add the path to your command (and won't actually move the folder), something like:
    cd /Users/yourname/Desktop/TransferFolder
    Obviously, the path will be different. Now hit 'return'.

That'll bring you into the offending folder. Now type (followed by 'return'):
    ls -a
    That'll produce something vaguely like:
    .                       Dummy.jpg 
    ..                      OSXTips.doc
    To get rid of the files you don't need - basically, anything with a filename starting with '.' (except for the directory indicators "." and ".."), meaning it's hidden, type the following (followed by 'return') for each of those files (I use .DS_Store as an example):
    rm .DS_Store
    Now, do not open the folder again using the GUI. Just copy it over. The hidden files will remain gone.
  5. eyeon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA
    cool, thanks. Very informative. I was just wondering as my PC friends are constantly asking, "what the hell are these desktop DB / DF files?" -- even at Kinkos when I bring a graphic file in to get printed!

Thanks for the responses, that helps a lot.