desktop HD icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by buryyourbrideau, Apr 2, 2005.

1. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

im bored as hell with my desktop and i want to change the hd icon somehow, i already changed the name but i have seen some peoples desktops with different icons....just seeing if anyone wants to spurt me some info...thanks :)

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Info on changing icon...? ...or getting them...? ...or both...? ;)

3. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

hell both whynot......where i can get different icons and how to change them(it)

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

You can use CandyBar or Shapeshifter (search on versiontracker.com or google) to change icon sets or individual icons.

But if you just want to switch your HD icon with a photo or something you can right click on your HD Click on Get Info then click on the HD icon at the top and paste anything you want on to it.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok... ;)

Icon sets can be found on many sites... first place to look is using your own Apple menu -> Mac OS X Software... There you can find a whole category of "Icons, Screensavers, etc."

To change them there are several 3rd party software to install icon sets, but if you just want to change a few, including the HD icon, then it might be easier to do it manually:

Select the file/folder with the icon you like and choose "Get Info" (from the File menu, right/ctrl-click or cmd-I), then click on the icon (it gets a blue shade) and Copy (from Edit menu or cmd-C). Mark the object you want to change the icon of, open the "Get info"-window for that, click the icon and Paste (using the Edit menu or cmd-V).

To remove a custom icon, just open "Get info"-window, click icon and press Backspace...

Enjoy... ;)

6. TrashCanDan macrumors member

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Serious? Thanks a million for that Mitthrawnuruodo. :cool: I love finding out all these little cool features in OSX. It's so intuitive, I probably should have just guessed you could do that! :p

8. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau