Desktop Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by urban1985_, Dec 16, 2004.

1. urban1985_ macrumors regular

I always seem to be asking for help hehe, sorry.

I just wanted to know why everytime I restart my mac, the HD icon on my desktop moves from the top-right corner, to underneath the quicksilver icon below it. I thought it had something to do with view options in finder, it was in alphabetical before, but i switched it to "grid view" and I checked off "this window only" for desktop. It still does it.

Also, I wanted to have my HD icon show how much space i have left, and I selected "view item info" but it still doesn't happen :(

Any ideas?

2. advres Guest

advres

My show item info works just dandy. it sounds like you got a corrupt prefs file. Go to your home folder > Library > Prefs > com.apple.desktop.plist.

Then restart. That should help.

3. urban1985_ thread starter macrumors regular

At the risk of sounding stupid, what app should i use to open it?

4. advres Guest

advres

oh damn i'm an idiot. I forgot to tell you to trash it. That is the systems preference list for your desktop. When you trash it and restart it will reset your desktop prefs because it can't find yours. Your problems may be stemming from a corrupt prefs file.

I had my system hard drive showing up 3 times in my finder windows for no apparent reason. I trashed my finder.plist, restarted and all was well.

What I am telling you to do may not possibly fix your problem but it couldn't hurt to try. When weird things start happening I trash prefs files and many times that solves the problem.

5. urban1985_ thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm it didn't work. All it did was change my desktop picture to the default :(
    Thanks anyways!