Desktop icons getting renamed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slooksterPSV, Mar 16, 2007.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

My desktop icons are getting renamed without my intervention. The only thing I can think of for when it started is when I had my PC's connect to grab some family photos off of my computer - the PC's were using Vista and yeah, they connected through FTP. Could it be something to do with that or what?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I doubt this is why, and it's also not a solution... but I too discovered to my dismay, the other day that the folders on my desktop had the oddest names. Random jumble of letters and punctuation.

I panicked and thought, virus! Or hacker! :eek:

Then I remembered-- I was wiping off my iSkin (while it was on the MB) and that I must have pushed just the right combination of keys to somehow select those folders and rename them. :eek: :p

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Yeah jumbled up like f/298h&*^$)(*( and stuff like that? I wonder if its a bug with 10.4.9 - is that what you're running? Also I updated to iTunes 7.1.1

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nope, still running 10.4.8 (volume's already too loud for my tastes ;)) and iTunes 7.1.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Are you sure that you did not inadvertently click on the name of the icon and get into edit name mode? That is usually what happened when names change to gibberish. Do all the names change at the same time? What do they change to?