Desktop Icons -> Move 'em Off; Faster

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arn, Aug 11, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey...

This may be obvious...

but I had a LOT of desktop icons... I just mass dragged them into the folder, and Finder is MUCH more responsive.

they accumulated over time, so I must not have noticed.

But if you've got a ton of icons on your desktop. Just move them into your folder - makes a remarkable amount of difference.

arn

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's so true, I've always tried keeping the bare amount of icons I can on my desktop. It's a habit I picked up from being a PC user since the number of icons on your desktop had a *serious* impact on system response back in the Win 95/98 days. Basically went for any amount of files/icons in any folder, in fact.

3. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Thanks for the reminder Arn. Mind just build up and I don't always remember to clean house. I'll do it tonight. And I'll pick up my socks too.:D

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i've noticed that keeping less icons on the desktop is a much more common trait among mac users than windows users. someone should do a study on why that is.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Because we're just cool like that. :cool: I notice that, too, however. One of my PC friends literally has his desktop completely covered in icons, it's absolutely sickening!

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Mmmm... I like to have none on my desktop.

Long live the Dock and Launchbar!

irmongoose

7. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I've noticed the same thing - many mac users keep their desktops relatively clean, including people like myself that have NO icons on the screen at all (cleanliness is next to godliness :))

arn being the apparent exception to the rule, until recently. ;) My wife's laptop would have a lot more icons on the desktop if I didn't come behind her and clean it up from time to time. She just doesn't care or doesn't notice. I can't stand it - everything needs a home, to be categorized. Otherwise, chaos takes over.

Or is it chaosmint, arn? ;)

8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I never have any icons on my desktop. Even in my PC days. I couldn't stand them. They slowed everything down. Now Arn, does the amount of icons in the dock also affect the speed of the finder? Should I be dropping some of those icons too?

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I don't think so, Navy. The dock is a different process than the Finder is.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think it does affect the speed of the dock, but the only noticible speed issue overall should be when using magnification...

i hate cluttered desktops, have always been pretty good about it... especially when i see a 17" gateway monitor with a hundred icons strewn about... how can you deal with that confusion? i find myself cleaning other people's desktops when i'm at them... which doesn't always amuse people (i forget, some people actually use all those preinstalled shortcuts :rolleyes:)...

pnw

11. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

My dad can't stand it when I do that. But it's so unorganized. Of course... so is his desk at his office.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

To each their own, I suppose. Icons only seem to slow things down and take over the desktop in my eyes.

13. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

My desktop and my computer files in general are the only things that i keep organised.

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I just wish Apple would add spring-load to the dock... it would make it much more useful.... but of course, not as useful as LaunchBar! :p

irmongoose