desktop icons moving?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jelloshotsrule, Aug 30, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is there a way to set up my desktop icons so that they always appear in the same arrangement?

what i mean is, i have 3 internal hard drives (2 partitions on 1, and 1 on a second drive). i would like them to always appear in the same place/order. i have noticed that since jaguar, they have been moving around more than before. when i start a game or something and then come back to the finder, everything's out of whack. but also just at random times it seems like they move around...

anything i can do about that?

thanks

edit: forgot to mention that i have dual monitors, and sometimes the icons start to leak over to the right monitor (the left one is the main display)... that is also annoying..

2. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I'm having the same problem, but with folders too, and documents on the desktop. This isn't that bad on my G4, but my pismo still has to redraw the desktop when I switch to finder, so sometimes I double click a file, it opens, then imediately closes and the icon moves to a new spot, I'm learning to jsut wait a secnd, but I'd like a real fix.

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

oh yeah, i didn't mean to imply it was just my hard drives.... it's everything

but the hard drives are the main thing that's constant on my desktop, so that's what bugs me most

let's hope someone knows something we don't

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

damn things just moved way out of whack

anyone?

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Help

In the finder, go to the View Preference in the Menu Bar. Then click on "Show View Options."

Then, they will stay arranged however you want. I have checked "Snap to Grid" and "arrange by kind"

6. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

awesome macaztec... a simple solution to an annoying problem. you the man

i just hope it sticks when i go into a game and come out... it should though

thanks again