Desktop Icons stack in lower right hand corner

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by nerd05, Apr 7, 2004.

1. nerd05 macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2004
    Whenever I download a file or mount a disk, the icons keep being stacked on the lower right hand corner on my desktop. This is a new incident to 10.3, and it always worked fine in Jaguar. I tried deleting Finder prefs, but no luck. I also tried changing view settings, but that didn't help much either. Any ideas? I think I just need to submit a bug report to Apple. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    How many icons do you have on your desktop? If the desktop is full when you try to add a new icon to it, Mac OS X will stack the icons on top of each other (I think this is by design, since the desktop doesn't scroll like other windows). If it isn't full, then surely either the view preferences for the desktop (stored in its invisible .DS_Store file) are corrupt, or you have a bona fide Mac OS X bug.
  3. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    Only if it's set to snap to grid or arrange by <whatever>.
  4. nblaxall macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004
    Had the same problem

I had the same stacking problem and was able to fix it by deleting my finder prefs file. Go to Users/[username]/Library/Preferences and delete the file. You'll have to reset your finder preferences but it should solve your problem.