Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AlyssaYoung, Sep 24, 2006.

1. AlyssaYoung macrumors newbie

HI there, I am very new to the world of Mac. I have been reading through several posts and find some of them very helpful. However, I am still having some troubles. I downloaded the Microsoft Messenger for Mac and the "drive" image is still on my desktop, I move it to the application folder as per a previous thread recommendation, but would like to clear the icon off my desktop.
    So it was suggested that I drag it to the trash bin, and then it actually deletes my program?!
    Can anyone help me, or does this have to stay on my desktop, any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this iMac, but's it's definately a learning curve.
    Alyssa:eek:

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

You view the contents of the drive first, then drag whatever is in it that you need, e.g. the program document or whatever to the applications folder, or documents folder. Much like extracting a file in Windows. then you can delete, or "eject" rather the drive that you downloaded. Does this make sense?

3. AlyssaYoung thread starter macrumors newbie

You are amazing.... thanks so much that made so much more sense this time, I didn't realize that you had to open the "drive" icon and drag out the file that you needed. Now I don't have the icons on my desktop and the program works.
    Thank you so much, I totally new to all of these and am really trying hard to figure it out!!!!! You rock!;)