Desktop is Turning Blue - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RAMMS+EIN, Mar 19, 2005.

1. RAMMS+EIN macrumors newbie

Hello. I use an eMac running OS X 10.3.5 and and am having a very irritating problem. When I open a window and can still see the bottom of my desktop, the coulours are normal, nothing is wrong. But when I minimise the window or press F11 or just close all my windows and just look at the desktop it fades blue very fast. The hold desktop doesnt turn blue, it just tints blue but very noticably. This is starting to get very annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. :)

P.S. I already tried adjusting the contrast / brightness / gama - Not working :(

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Could you post a screen shot?

shift + command + 3

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My guess is that your CRT tube is frying out. Do you see darker horizontal or vertical streaks where there are dark colors? The problem goes away when there's more white on screen than color? If it's the tube, it'll progressively get worse until it starts flickering, then it'll die pretty fast.

Perhaps if you could post pictures (they'd probably have to be digital stills, not screenshots) it would better explain the problem you're having?

4. RAMMS+EIN thread starter macrumors newbie

5. RAMMS+EIN thread starter macrumors newbie

The CRT is frying out? I only bought this in september. :( I'm not seeing any flickering, what exactly do you mean? This occured all of a sudden if it helps. Also when i close my windows and g to the desktop it fades very fast, but it is normal I just dont see the nrmal desktop very long before it turns blue (less than a second).

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Don't worry the guy, this sure looks like a new one. I assume your screen shots were taken from inside mac os, READ not the CRT, then you might be experiencing some insane glitch. If it isn't a bother, I'd reinstall mac os just to see what happens.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I read something somewhere about if the cable isn't properly inserted it'll make the screen blue. With the eMacs, I'm not sure how the screen's connected but maybe it's just a little loose or something. Could be a job for the AppleCare people... :(

8. RAMMS+EIN thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried reinstalling a little earlier and I didnt get any result but thank you anyway. I've reinserted the cable and I'll restart and see if it worked.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You are 100% sure this is NOT Exposé, right? Or some other GUI of OS X?

Just making sure....

Try taking a screen shot and if that doesn't show the discoloration then take a photo of it. We are visual people. :)

10. RAMMS+EIN thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck :( . Anyway, I'm going to bed now as it 1:50 AM I'll give it another shot in the morning. Thank you for your help everyone :) .

11. MagnaPalam macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

my desktop is turning blue too, but I'm sure when tiger comes out, it will go back to normal :)

On a more serious note, definately sounds like a CRT going out.

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

He did post screenshots. I didn't see any difference between them.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, so it wasn't just me... ;)

14. RAMMS+EIN thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I think it might be my CRT. I noticed that all dark colours show up blue. I just thought it was only my desktop because my desktop is black. I think my CRT is frying out :( .

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It's a good thing that you only bought it in September then ... you've still got warranty.

16. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It's under a year - Apple will fix it for you. I'm sorry this is happening to you. My friend is having some problems with his new PB too :(. Good luck!

17. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

There is nothing wrong with your ctr...by pressing F11 you activate Exposé to show desktop....there is a quarter of an inch greyish border around your screen.

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Didn't see anything wrong with them either.

So I'm not crazy! :)