Desktop Manager

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calebjohnston, Apr 12, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

This is an incredible program and it's free. I'm sure many of you know about it, but if not, google for desktop manager.

I have it running completely in the background, and just have it to switch to a secondary desktop by doing shift+`

Use it to keep iTunes open and have it for easy access, or use the second one to look through files while doing editing with them on the primary desktop.

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've been using this for quite a while now - fantastic program (even if I do lose a window or two every once in a while), even useful with a large screen (I have a 23"). I like often work with multiple programs and windows open, and may work on several projects in a day. Instead of reopening the files and arranging them again, I simply keep different projects open on different desktops.

... and it looks cool switching between desktops.

3. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Just thought I'd mention Virtue as well. It's based upon Desktop Manager. I personally like Desktop Manager myself (as it is quicker on my G4) but Virtue does offer some nice features DM doesn't yet.

4. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I'm a Virtue convert. Desktop Manager is great but I like what Virtue has to offer. In particular I like how you can set certain applications to stick to certain desktops. You can also set some applications to be on all desktops. Also, clicking on a program's icon in the dock will take you to the desktop it's on if you're not already on that desktop.

Plus, it seems like Virtue is still being developed. Desktop Manager hasn't been touched in quite a while.

Also, for you cube desktop switchers.. with virtue you can rotate the cube up and down and aren't limited to only left and right :D

5. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Does Virtue give you the ability to have different docks on different desktops? If you can, then I'm sold.

6. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

No, unfortunately not. But can I ask you why you would need that?

If you have different virtual desktops you wouldn't ever really need to minimize anything to the dock. You could just leave all of your windows open in your various virtual desktops and use Expose to filter through the windows on the current desktop you're on. If you need to launch applications you can always use one of those fancy application launchers. I suggest using Quicksilver for that.

I rarely ever use my dock. I only venture over to it when I need to empty the trash.

7. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I was just wondering because I thought it would be good to have one with the dock having all the photo editing, etc apps and one for general use, and one for blahblah, etc. No biggie. They're both very good programs.

8. Project macrumors 68020

So how do people use these kind of apps? What desktops do you have dedicated for certain apps?

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

last time i tried virtue on my mac mini it crashed :( so i'm using a 3rd party unibin of desktop manager

usually i have one desktop for just whatever, and the other one for work/school.

10. dr_lha macrumors 68000

For example I have a screen on my computer that entirely filled with pages of spacecraft telemetry. I wouldn't want these to be cluttering up my desktop, but need them to be open 24 hours a day, so Desktop Manager is perfect for me.

I realise this is a rather specialized usage! :)

11. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I have 4 desktops. One is a junk desktop where I browse the internet on Shiira and chat on Adium. The second desktop is a work desktop, I have things like Word and OmniOutliner Pro binded to that. The third is a media desktop for comics, movies and pictures. Last, but not least, is the remote desktop desktop (heh).

12. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I just have a primary and a secondary desktop. iTunes usually stays open all the time on the secondary, and the primary is for adium and safari or whatever applies at the time.

Sometimes I move Adium to the Secondary however if I'm not talking to anyone and need the screen space on my small 12".

I also have it set to switch from desktop to desktop by doing
    shift+`