Desktop Missing...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Kheraha, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Kheraha macrumors newbie

Just had iPhoto crash on me - restarted the G5 and when it came back - the desktop was empty - no drives or folders showing. Reset permissions, reset PRAM, fsck -y, all to no avail. I can see the drives and desktop in a finder window no probs - can even create a new folder on the desktop, which promptly disappears after giving it a name and hitting enter. Any ideas?? It has also affected the desktops on my two other login accounts on the G5 too.....
    OS X 10.3.3
    G5 Dual with 3 gigs Ram

Kheraha (Simon) :confused:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

check the finder preferences? also i would think about relaunching the finder if you can....other than that i am at a total loss

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

It sounds like you lost permissions on your desktop. If you can get to your home folder, Get Info on the Desktop folder. Make sure you have permissions for it.

4. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

Move everything out of the Desktop folder and into another folder, delete the desktop folder, reboot. Your Mac will make a new Desktop folder and hopefully everything will work again.

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you don't have any haxies like DesktopSweeper installed do you? ;)

he he. :) i was just thinking the other day, how funny it would be to just install that on someones machine, then just hide everything from the Desktop. :D

i'd better be careful who i try that one on. i know if it was me i'd be just a bit angry if someone came along and just installed something like that on my PB.

6. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

good suggestion by NNY

You didn't install any theft software or security software lately, did you?
    Strangest thing I've ever heard, and scary too!
    Thank God for the new finder side windows.
    ...sounds like a real modern mystery. ;)