desktop on a trip

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whyrichard, Aug 16, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    I will need to send my large desktop computer across the country soon...

... am weary of it not enjoyings it's trip.

any suggestions on what the best carrier might be for sending large heavy computers? ups? us post? fedex? dhl? ...for the price?

i do still have the original packing material....

thanks for your suggestions,

2. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    Prepare for the worst

I personally like UPS better than FedEx because I've noticed that UPS has better (and more up-to-date) tracking information. There are many people who like FedEx better than UPS. The best thing to do would be to compare the rates for the size of the package and the weight.

Whichever you choose, I would highly recommend the following:
    1. At least two SEPARATE backups of all important data on your desktop (probably on an external hard drive and on DVDs). Obviously, these backups would not be shipped with the desktop. :p
    2. Shipping insurance to cover the cost of replacing your desktop at the destination (this IS USUALLY NOT the same as the price you paid for your desktop). Take into account the price plus taxes plus shipping charges for expedited shipping (you may need the replacement urgently).
    3. Encrypt all data on your desktop using FileVault (or something similar) so that nobody else would be able to access your data. Of course, let the password be something that you would remember (otherwise you're screwed).
    4. Add more packing material (paper or foam) into any place that you possibly can while you pack. One can never be accused of adding too much packing material! :)