Desktop or floortop?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Xapplimatic, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

An all in one (like an iMac) has to sit on the desk, so it's called a desktop.

A portable (not to be confused with a luggable) notebook can rest on your lap (unless it gets too hot!) so its generally called a laptop.

A mainframe is probably called that because it sits in a framed metal housing that doesn't move (like an A-frame or a picture frame.. it just sits there..)

A 'tower' type "desktop" however is frequently too ugly to dare to put 'desktop' driving many users to hide the unsightly beasts under the desk on the floor..

I suspect that for lack of a better word, towers were allowed to be grouped in with non-towers (horizontal desktop units). They are not however filling the same roles. The difference becomes more sharp when you compare and contrast towers with the so-called "mini-PCs".

What would a more appropriate class type name be for a 'tower' type computer?

• Carpetweight
    • Comfooter
    • Floortop
    • Footwarmer
    • Scaremouse
    • Subdesktop
    • Toestubber
    • _________ ?

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Uh? Tower works fine for me.

Besides mine sits on my desk. Towers are beautiful don't hide them away sucking up carpet!

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I always had my tower PCs on my desk. Carpets are terrible with dust and static electricity and I wouldn't feel comfortable having a powerful piece of computing hardware sitting on my floor under my desk as if it were no better than my trash can.

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

If its a PC then obviously its name will be

Electric room heater.

5. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

if you've ever taken apart a unit that's been on the floor for any length of time, you'll know that they might as well be called Dust Traps or Cat-Hair Filtration Units.

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

That's actually why I leave my PC on all the time, to keep the temperature up and the humidity down a little...

Well, that and instant access to games. :p

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Beige box PC towers are ugly

Blue and White G3, graphite/ quicksilver G4 and G5 towers are master piece work of arts - i am proud to have mine sit on my desk.

8. Xapplimatic thread starter macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Ya, I absolutely think the biege TowerMacs were the ugliest ever made, but I didn't like the super plasticky looking blue and whites anymore either.. far too lego/duplo looking for my tastes.. The silver/grey g4s were a major improvement.. The G5 was a shock, but I've come to like it just because its so industrial/tought looking.. looks like the Terminator of computing.. It's the SUV of computing, a real LAN destroyer!.. lol

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

overall, i have seen mac desktop towers, G3s and G4s, on the floor but not as much as i have seen pcs on the floor which is almost always where i see it

i don't think that there is a huge issue with carpet and lint causing any problems with a computer but i think that having a tower on the floor or on the desk is most determined by preference and by available desktop space for a tower

no matter how small my deskspace, i like to keep the sucker on the desk because for me, it's easier to put in floppies, zips, and cd/dvds...but i know as many people who would say that it being on the floor makes it easier to pop in disks

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Keeping your PC on the floor does offer one good advantage, though--a heated footrest. :)

11. Xapplimatic thread starter macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

tower on the floor as a heated foot rest...

I think I did say that in the original post. It was the cathair sucker that got me rollilng! I've never been so abusive as to stick a computer on a fury surface, so I haven't had the pleasure? of removing such oddities...