Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloud9247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
I am starting my first year of college and I am going to be getting a computer, but I don't know if I should get a desktop or laptop. I just don't know which is better for school. The one thing I do know is that I don't have to worry as much about someone taking my desktop as I do a laptop. I'm not going to be using it for anything special, so does it matter. If any of you have any suggestions to help me decide that would be great. Thanks a lot.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Assuming you can keep it secure (not a trivial matter), the notebook will be more useful to you, especially since it doesn't sound like you'll be placing great demands on the system.

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
Seeing that many schools are going wi-fi now (at least in libraries and such), there could never be a better time to own a notebook. I think with the way you will be using a computer, there will be no problem with owning a portable.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I saw somewhere that in 1999, 40% of undergrad-owned computers were laptops, and in 2004 that number had jumped to 75%.

No recommendation - just throwin out numbers! [I'm a stats nerd] :p

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
laptop.

Think about it this way.
Assuming you're living in a dorm, you are going to have about 6 square feet of living space. A new desktop system would take up about one of those, effectively reducing your living space to by 1/6.

Most laptops come with the ability to lock, if you're that worried about security.

As someone said earlier, wi-fi is important.

And most importantly, depending on how your typing is, you can take notes in class if you have a laptop. Not so with a desktop (unless you're majoring in bodybuilding).

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
right.. i just placed my order for an ibook and a bit more RAM from crucial for university..

cue enourmous ibook price-cuts and special offers.. :rolleyes:

:D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jhomayne said:
right.. i just placed my order for an ibook and a bit more RAM from crucial for university..

cue enourmous ibook price-cuts and special offers.. :rolleyes:

:D

Hey thanks! I just noticed the "buy-an-iBook, get-an-iPod-free deal" on the Apple site - and they've cut the iBook prices by 20%!

;)

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I don't know how much you can afford to spend, but I find a 12" PB and a 20" cinema display just about perfect for my needs :D

There are times I would love a 15" screen when I'm using wi-fi away from my room, and there are times I would love a G5 but it really is a pretty good setup.

If the 12" and screen is out of your price range I would recommend a 15" PB as a great option. Notebooks are awesome if you don't need loads of power, which it sounds like you don't. With wi-fi growing and growing I just couldn't live without one.

aptmunich

macrumors member
May 29, 2004
Agreed, at university there is nothing better than chilling outside with your friends and being able to open your laptopn (and have it turn on instantly ;)) and then quickly check your mails...

ahhh now if only the planet was covered with wifi...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Get an 12" iBook with an Airport card. There is nothing like it. Small, light and durable. You can take it to class and use it for taking notes and it will give you the best battery life there is.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Cloud9247 said:
I am starting my first year of college and I am going to be getting a computer, but I don't know if I should get a desktop or laptop. I just don't know which is better for school. The one thing I do know is that I don't have to worry as much about someone taking my desktop as I do a laptop. I'm not going to be using it for anything special, so does it matter. If any of you have any suggestions to help me decide that would be great. Thanks a lot.
I have two nephews who graduated from HS 4 and 5 years ago. They both were heading to college so I wanted to get them each a computer for college. I offered to get them a laptop or desktop. Both opted for the desktop (Strawberry iMac and the other an eMac). Security was an issue for them. Plus they felt that the desktop was a better option for the money spent.

Both seemed very happy with their choice and didn't seem to regret not getting an laptop.

If I were to go back to college today, I think it would be a hard decision. A laptop is convenient. However, a laptop is easy to steal and has a short battery life.

I think that I would opt for a device like the Dana to take notes in class, then transfer my notes to my desktop Mac:

http://www.alphasmart.com/products/dana.html

Another option, would be a simple Palm OS device with a keybard. However, as a touch typist, I prefer a fixed keyboard vice a portable one.

Good luck in your decision.

Sushi

jsulens

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
i dont think laptops are always easier to steal. if i go home on xmas break i could easily take my laptop home, but i might keep my desktop at school. if someone breaks into my room my new desktop is gone, while my laptop is home safe with me. you can also hide ur laptop in your dorm room or where ever while u are not there as well. unless you are really careless and your roommate leaves your dormroom open all the time i cant see your laptop being stolen that easliy if you are cautious. but if you just laying it down in public and walking away, you might as well just hand it to someone.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm going off to college too! What school you going to? Due to the size of my doorm in school, i getting a laptop. I'm unsure if i want to get a 12" or 15" Powerbook...but i know i want a laptop because i need it for class notes cause i can't write to save my life :eek: If i had the doorm my brother was living in i would opt for a dual 2.5 G5 w/ a 23" monitor and a 12" ibook for class but i don't.... :mad: So a laptop for me

*on a side note instead of getting a really great $3,000 laptop, maybe you could slit it down and get an emac and an ibook, this way you have the best of both worlds. I say this because your only going to be doing basic things like IMing and email, not video editing. Just a thought

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I found that if I stayed in my room, I couldn't get any work done. I would've loved a laptop to drag to the library to work on. Since you're not doing any heavy computing, that's what I'd suggest.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Started college with a 600 mHz P2 from Compaq...bought an iBook for the last semester of my senior year--wished I'd made that decision earlier!

Of course, the campus of the University of Texas is almost completely WiFi (there are very few buildings that don't have it)--so that was awesome. Writing a thesis IN the library, with ALL the books/journals/etc right there at my disposal: PRICELESS.

Also PRICELESS: surfing the net while Professor So-So drones on...

Security? Wherever I go, the iBook goes. Someone would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Good news, my iBook is completely adequate and has totally replaced my desktop and is grad school ready!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
jsulens said:
i dont think laptops are always easier to steal.
You may be right.

However, some folks are worried about this happening. I guess it boils down to what you are comfortable with.

I do like my PB15 that I use everywhere these days it seems. Then again, I live in my own place and don't have to worry about dorm/communal life issues.

Sushi

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
No Brainer

I think this is a no brainer, to be honost. Definately get a Powerbook (or iBook). You're not always going to be in your (dorm) room, nor are you (probably) going to have that much space. If you are like most college students you will probably move in and out of various apartaments/homes in the next few years, so you're not going to want to lug a desktop around everytime.

Also, you might enjoy being able to go to a cafe, park, or the library for a change of scenery once in a while; the powerbook will always be there for you. You might want to consider getting a wireless keyboard and mouse for your laptop and a stand to elevate your laptop to eye-level when you are working from home.

...Advice from a career student working on his masters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.