desktop or laptop, the agony!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Independence, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Independence macrumors regular

i stated a while ago that i thought a mac was the right next machine for me. however, aside from me not having a job, i'm being plagued by the same question that made my last decision to buy a PC such a pain. the one question that causes me so much grief: desktop or laptop?

i'm a gamer who also listens to music, collects images of cars, and basically just surfs the internet for hours on end. i'd like some mobility and the 15" powerbook looks like a sweet deal. however, the 17" iMac also looks like a nice machine and would probably be better for gaming. i'm leaning towards the powerbook mainly because it has an ATI card instead of nvidia. i hate nvidia and swore i'd never have another nvidia card in any of my systems. i occasionally use photoshop to make images a little more suitable for use on forums. i also use bryce from time to time when ever i want a new desktop wallpaper (or whatever the mac term for it is). games are probably my biggest problem. i'll just use my tried and true microsoft optical intellimouse whenever i have the laptop on my desk but i'm concerned about the keyboard. while the location of the keys on a keyboard don't really matter in games like Starcraft, they could present a problem in first person shooters. buying an external keyboard isn't really an option because that defeats the purpose of a laptop. and lastly, i want bragging rights. i'm guessing the laptop would get more "ohhs" and "ahhs". :)

i want to hear some opinions. the desktop or laptop question always locks my brain up like a BSOD in windows 98se. the question mocks me! :(

2. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

Jesus - just buy an XBOX

This comes from a man who LOVES macs and has been bleeding six colors since my first Apple ][.

Macs suck at gaming - if you are really serious, but a decked out PC for gaming and you'll see what I mean.

If you don't have the cash for a Mac and Gaming PC (I do and believe me - if you have the cash - this is the best solution), my recommendation is buy a 15" AuBook and either an XBOX or a Playstation 2.

The key about gaming is CONTENT - macs just don't have it. I have an XBOX too (had to have Halo - even if was MADE TO BE PLAYED ON A MAC FIRST). Graphics are best on an XBOX, but it's still a little light on content - however, XBOX live is the best online gaming experience if you are into consoles. Pick one - they both work.

The NET NET is this - buy a Mac to WORK, but a console to Play. It's the best way.

3. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

Well I played Unreal Tournament 2003 on a new 15" Powerbook today with that kick ass Radeon 9600 chip (ATI is better than NVidia any day) and it ran SUPER smooth with all the details and res maxed out. Ran just as smooth as my Dual 1 Ghz DESKTOP with a Radeon 9000. I would go for the Powerbook, that way you can play games ANYWHERE. I have all the great Mac games too, Starcraft, Wolfenstein, Civ III, Jedi Outcast, Warcraft III, Medal of Honor, The Sims, etc. And they all play great on my Power Mac. I can't to try them out on my new Powerbook.

4. alphaone macrumors 6502

Like what has been mentioned here before, Macs suck at gaming. There's just no arguing about it.

So if you're a gamer don't fret it and get a PC.

I myself am currently building a PC to play games on only right now while I'll still use my dual 867 for doing actual work.

Don't get me wrong Macs are an awesome thing to have and I love them so, but if you really want to play games then get the PC.

If you do get a Mac though, whatever you do, don't get the iMac! It is the worst Mac for gaming, with the exception of the emac and ibook which are even worse. If you get a mac and want to play the few games that are available for it get a tower with a good vid card in it.

That's all I've got.;)

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

you could always go to a 12 inch ibook for around 1300, take the 700 and build a PC for gaming, i put mine together for $620 so it can be done. Now you'd have a mac to be productive on and take with you everywhere, and a PC to play half life 2. All for around the cost of the powerbook.

6. Independence thread starter macrumors regular

from what i've read, i'd get far better bang for the buck with an emac. i want something with more power. i just need some help with the desktop vs laptop question.

as for my current PC, i do plan on keeping it. unless there's a version of Tribes 2 for the mac that i haven't heard about, the PC is still a must-have. i want to eventually get away from windows though. i'm plain tired of looking at the same interface day after day after day for several years. i get more satisfaction out of windows 3.11 and KDE for linux these days.

7. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Go for the Powerbook. Twice the L2 cache, Better graphics card, can handle 2Gb of ram and has a PC slot. The only thing the imac has going for it is the 17" display.

8. MacBoy88 macrumors regular

Do what I am doing!

I am going to take my 15" and make a desktop!

I got a 15" PB
    17" Apple LCD
    ADC to DVI Connector
    BT Mouse & Keyboard.

I hook up the display close the lid, and TADA!!

a desktop!

9. loneAzdgari macrumors member

Re: Do what I am doing!

Wish I could afford that. I Got the 15in PB today. I bought Office V.x, Final Cut Express and Keynote.

I could use my current Keyboard and Mouse, although I dont have the screen.

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Go for the 15" instead of the eMac... more power and its portable, which you really get used to. Also, better graphics in the PowerBook, and more speed. Plus you can use the PCMCIA slot for some expansion.

11. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Re: desktop or laptop, the agony!!

If u dont know whether you want a laptop or desktop u probably want a desktop. Why spend more money on a laptop just because of portablity if you dont even need it to be portable?

12. DavidFDM macrumors regular

I am in the same boat. I am setting up a studio intown but I want a machine for home. I thought about a G5 and a 20-23" display at work and I would have my existing Quicksilver tower at home with dual 17" LCD monitors. I would either pickup a large FireWire drive to shuttle files back and forth. I am just nervous about whether my Adaptec SCSI card would work in the G5.

Then I realized that a PowerBook might be the better solution. This way I would always have all my files with me and in a working environment. Plus it would be very useful for presentations. Now, I am actively considering the aircraft carrier of laptops, the 17" PowerBook. I am opening the studio Dec. 1 so I have some time to think about.

- David

13. markiv810 macrumors regular

Am I the only one who thinks that colleges are institutions to mass produce slaves (servants) for the corporate world

14. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

i too am in the same boat, as you may see by my sig, i have pre ordered a dual g5, BTO radeon 9800pro 1.5 gigs of ram.

But now i am really having trouble deciding wether to keep the g5 or go with the new 1.25 15 in pb. 1 gig of ram, and an xbox for gaming.

the only reason why i want the laptop, is because i am replacing my ibook, (giving it to my bro when g5 arrives) and after wireless internet on the laptop and mobile freedom, i have no idea what to do.

aethier

15. DavidFDM macrumors regular

aethier,

You have a 17" PowerBook. Why would you buy a 15" Powerbook?

- David

16. shalomii, Sep 29, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  17. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

T'is my fathers, the 15 would be mine

aethier

18. Independence thread starter macrumors regular

i had a thread similar to this posted in a game forum i hang out in (not the major forum i frequently visit). everyone recommended the 15" powerbook. i've also been doing a little more research, comparing the 17" imac and the 15" powerbook. the powerbook would be damn sweet.

and now to work for the money...