desktop or notebook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim2006, Mar 19, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2006
    I am looking for checklist or questions for someone who is trying to decide between a desktop vs a notebook.
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  3. Xyl macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2006
    You don't need a checklist, you need a desktop.

Since you actually asked this question, it means you don't need to move around a lot (since you can't drag a desktop with you everywhere you go), so you should get a desktop.
  4. FullCollapse macrumors regular

Oct 31, 2006
    Oneonta, NY
    coming from a desktop user, the only real advantage of a laptop is the mobility. if you can do without the portability, get a desktop. it will be cheaper and likely more powerful, plus you will get a bigger screen and hard drive.

i had a (windows) laptop and when it came time for a new computer, i chose a desktop as i never used the advantage of portability in my old laptop. but hey, everyone has different needs so for you it may make sense to get a laptop.
  5. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2006
    Are desktops in decline are notebooks replacing desktops?
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I would not say that desktops are necessarily in decline, but a great percentage of people seem to be opting for notebooks than had done so in the past. Personally, I prefer to have at least one laptop and one desktop- I hate having my laptop tethered to the desk (having to unplug it when I want to take it to the coffee shop for instance). :)